This creamy and zesty vegan key lime pie is full of fresh key lime juice, only 7 ingredients, and naturally gluten free, eggless, and refined sugar free. The perfect sweet and tart no bake dessert for the summer!
No bake oat crust:
- 2 1/2 cups ( 225 grams) rolled oats, gluten free as needed
- 7 medjool dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) vegan butter or coconut oil, cold + cubed
Vegan Key Lime Pie Filling:
- 320 grams condensed coconut milk*
- 280 grams (1 1/2 cup) coconut milk
- juice from 3 small key limes
- zest from 1 key lime
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 batch vegan coconut whipped cream
- Prepare a 9″ tart pan or pie dish first. Lightly grease the dish with olive oil (for easier removal than coconut oil) and if using a tart pan, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Prepare and measure out all ingredients before beginning. Make sure that the dates have been soaked, and slice them into quarter pieces. This will be easier on the food processor for blending purposes.
- Make the oat crust: in a large food processor, pulse the oats until they reach almost a fine flour. Then add in the dates and cubed vegan butter to the food processor and pulse again until the mixture reaches a sticky but thick dough, about 1-2 minutes. Press the dough into the tart pan or dish using a spoon or clean hands, and work the dough up the sides of the dish. Place the tart pan into the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Make the key lime pie filling: in a large saucepan, whisk together the condensed coconut milk, coconut milk, lime juice and zest, and vanilla. Bring the saucepan to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Sift in the arrowroot starch and whisk vigorously. This will prevent the arrowroot from clumping. Continue to whisk the mixture for about 7-10 minutes, until it thickens. Then pour the coconut mixture into prepared pie crust. Carefully place the pie dish into the freezer to set for 4 hours.
- Once the key lime pie is set, you can prepare the coconut whipped cream if you’d like for a topping! Follow the instructions in the post. Then top with lime wedges and serve! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Oats: you can use sprouted oats or rolled oats here. I do not recommend using steel cut outs. Use gluten free certified as needed.
Arrowroot starch: you can swap in an equal amount of cornstarch if you’d like to use that instead.
Sweetened condensed coconut milk: the brand I get, which I believe is the only one on the market and is intonational, is Nature’s Charm. If that is unavailable to you in your grocery store, then you can use 200 grams more of coconut milk and 120 grams of maple syrup.
Keywords: vegan key lime pie, dairy free key lime pie, easy key lime pie, no bake key lime pie