This fresh and zesty vegan lemon tart is bursting with vibrant flavor and perfectly tart and sweet! With a secretly gluten free pastry crust, this lemon tart recipe is easy to make and perfect for all eaters, vegan or not!
Gluten Free Oat Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups (188 g) oat flour*
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/3 cup (76 g) vegan butter, cubed and cold
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chilled water
Lemon Tart Filling:
- 1 can (398 mL) coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1/3 cup (50 g) arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar (can sub 1/3 cup maple syrup instead)
- 1/2 cup (100 mL) lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp turmeric or Anima Mundi Herbals golden moon milk powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients before beginning. Grease a 9″ tart pan and set aside.
- Make the crust: In a large food processor, pulse together the oat flour and arrowroot starch. Then add in the cubed vegan butter and maple syrup, and begin to process the dough until a thick dough forms. Add in the tablespoon of cold water to help the dough form.
- Press the dough into the tart pan: Once the dough is formed, press the dough into the tart pan. Use the bottom of a ramekin to help smooth the dough, and work it up the sides of the tart pan. Place the dough into the freezer to chill while you preheat the oven to 400F.
- Bake the crust: Once the oven is preheated, remove the tart crust from the freezer. Poke a few holes into the tart pan with a fork, and place a piece of parchment paper down along with pie weights, dried beans or flour. Bake the crust for 15-18 minutes, or until completely set.
- While the crust is baking: In a medium saucepan and BEFORE you heat the pan, add in the coconut milk and arrowroot starch. Whisk together until there are no more clumps of starch left. Then add in the remaining lemon tart filling ingredients, except for the vegan butter. Whisk until combined. Turn the heat on the stove up to medium-high, and continue to whisk and stir the mixture until it thickens, about 10 minutes. Once the mixture has thickened, add in the vegan butter, and remove from heat. Whisk vigorously to combine the vegan butter into the custard.
- Fill the lemon tart: Remove the crust from the oven, and pour the filling into the crust. Allow the tart to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Chill the tart: Place the vegan lemon tart into the fridge to set for 3 hours or until completely set.
- Serve and enjoy! Once the tart is set, slice and serve! Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Don’t need gluten free? Swap in all purpose flour instead.