Perfectly sweet, light, and fluffy vegan madeleines that taste just like the classic French cake! Secretly eggless, dairy free, and easily gluten free, these madeleines have a delicate buttery vanilla flavor and are perfect with coffee or tea!
- 1/3 cup (87 g) vegan butter (plus 2 tbsp for brushing the metal pan- set this aside), melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp finely ground sea salt
- (125 g) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (120 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Prep: Melt the vegan butter and set it aside to cool. Measure out all ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the vegan butter, applesauce, granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Sift in the dry ingredients: Sift in the flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Use a siliconespatula to gently fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Stop just before the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Rest thebatter: Place the batter into the fridge to rest for 1 hour, or overnight. The batter will thicken as it rests, helping to create the dome shape in the Madeleine cookie.
- Preheat the oven: With about 10 minutes left in the resting period, preheat the oven to 375F. Grease your Madeleine pan with the 2 tbsp of remaining vegan butter.
- Fill the Madeleinetin: Spoon about 1 tablespoon of batter per Madeleine into the middle of the Madeleine crater. Repeat for the remaining Madeleines.
- Bake: Place the Madeleine trays into the oven to bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden and the classic dome shape has formed.
- Cool and serve: Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in their Madeleine baking pan. Then flip the madeleines onto a cooling rack. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with tea!
Gluten free: Use gluten free 1:1 baking flour in place of all purpose flour for gluten-free.
Madeleine trays: These Madeleine cookies can only be made with a Madeleine baking pan.
Keywords: vegan madeleines, vegan Madeleine cookies, madeleines