Easy and delicious vegan meringue cookies that you’d never know are vegan! Low calorie and low in sugar, these cookies are so fun to make!
- 1 cup aquafaba (water from a can of chickpeas- about 2 cans of chickpea; see Note)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 tsp beet powder
- To start, preheat the oven to 220F and line an extra large or 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to beat the aquafaba until it forms stiff, fluffy white peaks, much like making regular meringue. This will take about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the cream of tartar and beat again for 30 seconds to combine.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar as your continue to beat the aquafaba, using only 1/2 cup increments max at a time and waiting until that increment is fully incorporated. The mixture should still be fluffy, but not as fluffy as when you first started beating the aquafaba to form peaks.
- Add in the vanilla extract and beet powder, and continue to beat until fully incorporated.
- Spoon the meringue into an icing bag with a tip or a plastic bag with a corner snipped (this will be harder and messier, but still a viable option). Pipe 1 to 1 1/2 inch meringue cookies onto the baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Do this for the entire vegan meringue or if you run out of space, bake in batches.
- Place the cookie sheets into the oven to bake for 1 hour, rotating the pan every 15 minutes.
- After 1 hour, turn off the oven but leave the meringue cookies inside the oven to rest for another hour.
- Remove from the oven and serve. These meringue cookies will keep for up to 2 weeks when stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Additionally, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
Typical cans of chickpeas in the United States come in an average size of 15 ounces, which should yield about 1/2 cup aquafaba per can. To use up the chickpeas as well, toss them over a salad or use them to make these flourless gluten free vegan brownies!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 25
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 0.2 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat:
- Carbohydrates: 5.9 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan meringue cookies, vegan meringue, meringue cookies, how to make vegan meringue