This “buttery” and soft Linzer cookie recipe is so easy to make, naturally vegan and eggless, and filled with a rich vegan Nutella spread! The perfect classic Christmas cookie to make this season!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 3/4 cup salted vegan butter, softened but still cold (not quite room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or powder
- 3/4 cup vegan nutella or store bought dairy free chocolate hazelnut spread
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Whisk: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, and arrowroot starch. Set aside.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla, and mix again until evenly distributed. Add in the flour mixture, and use a silicone spatula to fold the flour into the butter mixture until just mixed. This will take a bit of work, but it will combine into the butter mixture to create a dough without any need for added dairy free milk.
- Chill the dough: Wrap the dough in parchment paper and place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Make the Linzer cookies: Lightly flour a clean piece of parchment paper. Place the dough onto the parchment paper and flour both the dough and the rolling pin. Roll out the dough to be about 1/4″ thick. Use a Linzer cookie cutter and cut out as many Linzer cookies as you can, making sure to have an even number. Place the middle piece cut out into half of the Linzer cookies, removing the middle piece of dough. Remove the scraps of dough around the cookies and set aside (to be re-rolled again). Repeat for the remaining dough. You should get about 25 cookie sandwiches.
- Chill the dough again: Place the parchment paper with the Linzer cookies onto a baking sheet and into the freezer to chill while you preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake the cookies: Place the cookie sheets into the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes.
- Fill the Linzer cookies: Spread about 1 tsp of vegan Nutella onto the back of one of the Linzer cookies that doesn’t have a hole in it. Place another Linzer cookie on top (the one with the cut-out middle) and sandwich together. Repeat for all of the cookies.
- Serve and enjoy! Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Gluten free: You can use gluten-free 1:1 baking flour if you need gluten free!
Nut-free: For nut-free, you can swap in an equal amount of oat flour for the almond flour.
Storage and freezing: You can freeze these cookie sandwiches already made in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Keywords: linzer cookies recipe, easy linzer cookies, vegan linzer cookies, linzer cookies