These perfectly chewy and soft vegan peanut butter cookies are a dream! So easy to make, and undetectably eggless and dairy free!
- 155 grams all purpose flour, or gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (omit if your peanut butter or vegan butter contains salt)
- 113 grams vegan butter, room temperature
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 50 grams coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 175 grams all-natural creamy smooth peanut butter
- 60 grams unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, for coating the cookie dough
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone cookie mat, and set aside.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Then add in the peanut butter, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Then add in the flour, baking soda, and salt (if using), and use a rubber spatula to fold the flour gently into the wet mixture just until combined. Chill the dough for at least 1 hour, or overnight in the fridge covered.
- When ready to bake the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Scoop the dough: Place the remaining granulated sugar in a small bowl. Use a cookie scoop (about 1.5 tbsp in size) or roll dough into small dough balls (about 1.5 tbsp each). Dip each cookie dough ball into the decorative sugar, coating it all around, then place the dough onto the baking sheet. They should be about 2 inches apart to prevent touching when they spread. If you can’t fit all of the cookie dough onto your prepared baking sheets, you can place any leftovers in the fridge while you wait for the first batch to bake!
- Create the classic peanut butter cookie look: Use the back of your fork and lightly press down onto each cookie dough ball to create a hatch mark.
- Bake the cookies: Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the edges have set, and the middle is slightly puffy. Remove from the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool before enjoying: These cookies are super soft at first when first coming out of the oven! Allow them 10-15 minutes to cool and solidify more (then you can pick them up and enjoy!).
- Storage: Serve and enjoy! Store any remaining cookies in the freezer for up to 3 months in an air tight container.
Keywords: vegan peanut butter cookies, classic peanut butter cookies, peanut butter cookies, healthy peanut butter cookies