Fudgy and decadent vegan peppermint brownies are the perfect festive holiday treat! So easy to make, and topped with a lush white chocolate peppermint cream cheese frosting that’s mouthwatering! No one will know these peppermint brownies vegan and dairy free!
- 1 3/4 cup (220 g) all-purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1/2 cup (50 g) grams cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 6 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup (250 g) granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) aquafaba
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
White Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (170 g or 6 ounces) vegan white chocolate chips, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed vegan peppermint candies, crushed
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8×8″or 9×9″ pan with parchment paper. Measure out all ingredients. Make sure you’ve mixed together the flax seed and the water to create the “flax egg.”
- Whisk: In a medium bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together, then set aside.
- Melt the chocolate: In a microwave bowl, heat the vegan butter until hot and melted. Add in the chocolate chips, and stir until the chocolate chips are melted. Set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to cream together the sugar and aquafaba until frothy and foamy, about 3 minutes. The mixture will start to form thicker ribbons as it’s being mixed. Then add in the flaxseed “egg,” along with the vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- Add in the chocolate: Pour in the melted chocolatebutter mixture, and mix again until completely combined.
- Finish the batter: Add in the flour mixture, and use a rubber spatula to mix just until the dry is about to be fully incorporated. Then fold in the additional chocolate chips until evenly distributed (being careful not to over-mix).
- Bake: Spread the batter into the prepared pan to the edges. Place the baking pan into the oven and bake for 32-35 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out NEARLY clean. It’s okay if the middle is still a bit wiggly. It will solidify more as it rests. If you bake these brownies longer, they will be more cake-y than fudgy.
- Cool: Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool completely before you make the frosting.
- To make the white chocolate peppermint cream cheese frosting: In a large bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and cream cheese until combined. Then add in the powdered sugar, along with the peppermint extract, and cream together until fully combined. Pour in the melted white chocolate, and mix again until combined.
- Spread: Spread the frosting onto the cooled brownies. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. For clean slices, place the brownies into the refrigerator to set for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve! Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Gluten free: I recommend using King Arthur measure-for-measure flour.
Keywords: peppermint brownies, vegan brownies, vegan peppermint brownies, Christmas brownies, white chocolate frosting