These flaky and buttery vegan pop tarts are filled with a classic gooey cinnamon sugar filling! Even better than store bought and unbelievably dairy free!
Pop tart crust:
- 2 1/4 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour*
- 3 tbsp organic granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (226 g) unsalted vegan butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/3 cup (65 g) unsweetened dairy free yogurt
- 3–4 tbsp cold water
Cinnamon Sugar Filling:
- 1 cup (200 g) organic brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (57 g) vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Vegan Egg Wash:
- 2 tbsp soy milk or dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2–3 tbsp dairy free milk
- 1 tspvanilla extract
- Prep: Measure out all pop tart crust ingredients. Make sure you have a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, ruler or silicone mat with ruler marked on it, rolling pin, and large kitchen knife or pizza cutter.
- Make the dough: In a food processor, blitz together the flour, sugar, and salt. Then add in the cubed vegan butter and dairy free yogurt, and pulse again until a crumbly texture has formed, about 30-40 seconds. Then while the food processor is pulsing, add in the water, 1 tbsp at a time until a thick and consistent dough forms, about 3-4 tbsp (start with 3 and mix for 30 seconds. Then add another tbsp if needed).
- Chill the dough: Press the dough into a flat disk and wrap the dough in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or overnight.
- Mix the cinnamon sugar filling: While the dough is chilling, you can mix all of the cinnamon sugar filling ingredients together in one bowl. Set aside.
- Roll out the dough: Preheat the oven to 425F. Lightly flour a clean surface or silicone baking mat that has a ruler (like this one) or a piece of parchment paper. Place the dough onto the floured surface, and flour the rolling pin as well. Roll the dough out to be 8″ by 18″. Make sure that the corners are 90. You can trim the dough as well so that the corners are even and accurate.
- Slice and fill the pop tarts: On the 18″ side (length), make a mark every 3 inches. That will be where we’ll slice the pop tarts. On the 8″ side (width), mark at the 4″ mark. Then slice the dough using a large kitchen knife or a pizza cutter lengthwise along the 4″ mark so that the dough is sliced in half. You will now have two rectangles that are each 4″ by 18″. Then slice width wise along the 3″ marks to create 12 rectangles. Spoon about 1.5-2 tbsp of filling into the middle of one rectangle, spreading the filling just in the middle and saving room along the edges to seal the pop tart. Repeat for 5 other rectangles (for a total of 6 rectangles of dough with filling on them).
- Seal the pop tarts: Place one of the un-filled doughrectangles over the top of one of the rectangles with the filling. Press the edges of the dough into the bottom, and then seal them off by pressing the tongs of the fork along the edges to create a crimp. Poke 2-3 holes in the top of the pop tart to create a ventilation while baking. Repeat for the remaining rectangles. You’ll yield 6 pop tarts total.
- Chill: Using a spatula, transfer the pop tarts carefully to the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mix together the vegan egg wash ingredients, then brush the tops of each pop tart with the vegan egg wash. Place the baking sheet into the freezer to chill the dough for 10 minutes.
- Bake: Once chilled, place the baking sheet into the oven to bake for 20-23 minutes, or until the tops of the pop tarts are lightly golden brown. Remove the pop tarts from the oven.
- Glaze the pop tarts: While the pop tarts are cooling, make the glaze by mixing together all of the cinnamon glaze ingredients. Spoon about 2-3 tbsp of glaze onto the tops of each pop tarts. Allow the glaze to set for 10 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!
Gluten free: Swap in a gluten free 1:1 flour blend, such as King Arthur measure for measure or Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 using the cup measurements rather than the gram measurements. See blog post for more notes.
Keywords: vegan pop tarts, gluten free pop tarts, vegan pop-tarts, dairy free pop tarts