This super moist and tender red velvet bundt cake is so easy to make and naturally vegan and dairy free, yet you’d never know it! Topped with a dairy free cream cheese glaze, you’ll just love this twist on a classic red velvet cake!
Vegan Red Velvet Bundt Cake:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream, room temperature*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted*
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vegan red food coloring*
Vegan Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–3 tbsp dairy free milk.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 10-cup bundt cake pan with olive or coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sour cream until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add in the applesauce, sugar, and vanilla extract, and cream together until the sugar is slightly dissolved into the mixture (about 2-3 minutes).
- Sift in about 1/3 of the flour mixture, along with half of the buttermilk mixture. Beat together until flour begins to incorporate into the batter. Add in the remaining flour and buttermilk mixture, and mix until it’s a smooth and drippy batter (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the vegan red food coloring (depending on the brand and its color saturation, you may need more or less), and mix together until the color is incorporated throughout.
- Pour the batter into the bundt cake pan, and bake the bundt cake for 40-42 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the bundt cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then carefully wedge a knife around the cake to release it from the edges. Place a serving plate on top of the bundt cake pan (top of the plate facing the cake), and flip the cake onto plate.
- To make the vegan cream cheese glaze, use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add in the dairy free milk to make the cream cheese glaze more drippy. Drizzle the glaze over the bundt cake and serve!
Gluten free option: to make this vegan red velvet bundt cake gluten free, simply use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour or King Arthur’s 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour.
Sour cream option: I used Forager Project’s vegan sour cream here. It’s currently the only brand I know of that’s vegan, so if it’s not available near you, you can also swap in unsweetened plain coconut milk yogurt or cashew milk yogurt.
Refined sugar free option: you can make this cake refined sugar free by using coconut sugar; however, the color of the bundt cake will be more tan in color rather than red.
Vegan Food Coloring:
Keywords: red velvet bundt cake, vegan red velvet bundt cake, vegan red velvet cake, moist red velvet cake