This is the only vegan royal icing recipe you need! Just two ingredients and so easy, your vegan sugar cookies will look professionally decorated for the holidays!
- Your favorite vegan sugar cookie recipe
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3–5 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Plant-based food coloring*
- Bake and cool the sugar cookies in the shape that you desire.
- First make the border royal icing: this will be to prevent the more liquid royal icing from running over the cookie. Mix together the powdered sugar with 2-3 tbsp of aquafaba to start. Add more if you need help creating more of a paste than a liquid and runny royal icing. If you are making multiple colors, such as the snowman’s hat, you’ll divid some of the vegan royal icing into a separate bowl and add the coloring. Spoon the icing into a piping bag and cut the very end of the tip with scissors. Pipe a clean border around the sugar cookie that will block the vegan royal icing from flooding.
- Make sure to cover the unused vegan royal icing with a wet paper towel. This will prevent the royal icing from hardening.
- Make the flooding vegan royal icing: in the same bowl, add another tablespoon of aquafaba and mix until the royal icing easily drips from the spoon. If you need more aquafaba, add in a tbsp at a time- you don’t want to make it too drippy, or it will thin. Do this for all of the colors that you’ve made, and spoon the icing into another piping bag. Cut the tip of the piping bag and fill the middles of your cookie only a little to start. Then use a toothpick to carefully push the royal icing to the border that we made in Step 2.
- Allow the royal icing to set for 15 minutes before you pipe more royal icing on top (like a scarf, facial features, mittens etc.).
- Allow the cookies to finish setting for 15 minutes and enjoy! Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
For plant-based food coloring: I recommend using the Whole Food 365 vegan food coloring. It’s liquid and easy to use. You can make purple from the red and blue, green from the blue and yellow, and orange from the red and yellow. You can also use powders, such as turmeric powder, beet powder, matcha, blue spirulina, purple sweet potato powder, etc.
Keywords: vegan royal icing, how to decorate sugar cookies, vegan sugar cookies, egg free royal icing, royal icing without eggs, royal icing without corn syrup