Vegan Spice Cake (Paleo too!)
Moist and decadent vegan spice cake layered with a vegan cream cheese frosting! This holiday cake is perfect for all ages and naturally gluten free, Paleo, and dairy free!
- Author: thebananadiaries
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups sweet potato, cooked + mashed
- 3 cups cassava flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups coconut milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/3 cup water
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened but still cold
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese, softened but still cold
- 3 cups powdered sugar (for Paleo, use 3 cups powdered coconut sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease two 8″ cake pans with coconut or olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cassava flour, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the mashed sweet potatoes, maple syrup, coconut milk with apple cider vinegar, and ground flaxseed mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the batter amongst the two cake pans evenly and bake for 32-36 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 min before removing from the pan.
- To make the frosting: use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat together the vegan butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Sift in the powdered sugar in increments until well combined.
- To assemble: level the cakes if needed then spread a thick layer of frosting on top of one cake. Place the second cake crumb side down and continue to frost the rest of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: spice cake, vegan spice cake, sweet potato cake, vegan sweet potato cake, paleo spice cake