Quite literally the best vegan tiramisu you will ever make, this easy dairy free tiramisu is layered with espresso soaked homemade ladyfingers, creamy and rich vegan mascarpone filling, and topped with a dusting of cocoa powder. Tastes just like the classic Italian “pick-me-up” layered dessert!
Vegan Gluten Free Ladyfingers:
- 2 cups (250 grams) all purpose flour or sifted gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour (if doing gluten-free, add in 1 tsp arrowroot powder)
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup (250 grams) dairy-free milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, room temperature*
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter or coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup (180 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 13-ounce cans coconut cream, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup brewed espresso
- Optional: coconut whipped cream for decoration
- Please read through all instructions before beginning. Measure out the ingredients for the ladyfingers first
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the ladyfingers first. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Fold in dairy-free milk mixture, applesauce, melted vegan butter, and vanilla extract until there are no streaks of dry ingredients and the batter is smooth. The batter will be slightly runny. Spread the batter onto the prepared baking sheet, using a rubber spatula to spread the batter to be about 9″x12″. Place the baking sheet into the oven to bake for 15-18 minutes. Then remove from the oven and set aside. Cool for 10 minutes, then slice the cake into 3″x1″ strips. You should yield 26 ladyfingers. Set the ladyfingers aside to cool completely. They’re even better if used the following day.
- Prepare the mascarpone. In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the vegan cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes Add in the sugar and vanilla extract, and continue cream together until smooth. Then scoop in the coconut cream (fat only) and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Assembly: brew the espresso and make sure you have a 6×9″ or 8×8″ baking pan. Remove the mascarpone from the fridge. Dip one ladyfinger into the espresso, and be careful not to soak it too much. Just make sure it’s entirely covered in the espresso. Remove the ladyfinger from the espresso and place in the dish. Repeat with the half of the ladyfingers until the first layer is complete. You’ll have half for the second layer. Spoon half of the mascarpone on top of the first layer of lady fingers. Repeat for the second layer, dipping the ladyfingers into the espresso, topping with mascarpone.
- Place the dish into the fridge to chill for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve: when ready to serve, remove the tiramisu from the fridge. Pipe coconut whipped cream on top if desired, then dust with cacao or cocoa powder. Slice and serve! Store any leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Allow the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar mixture to sit for 5 minutes before using.
A note on vegan cream cheese: the brand you choose will make or break this vegan tiramisu. For vegan cream cheese, I recommend using Violife cream cheese.
Keywords: vegan tiramisu, vegan tiramisu recipe, gluten free vegan tiramisu, vegan ladyfingers, dairy free tiramisu, egg free tiramisu