This super creamy vegan vanilla ice cream is so easy to make and perfectly custard-like! Oat milk based, no nuts, and there’s an option for NO coconut as well!
- 2 1/4 cup (555 mL) unsweetened vanilla oat milk
- 7 ounces (1 can) sweetened condensed coconut milk or condensed oat milk
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut cream or soy milk
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar*
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: 1 tsp seeds from 1-2 vanilla beans
- Prep: Make sure that your ice cream bowl has been frozen overnight. Measure out all ingredients.
- Whisk: In a medium saucepan, whisk together all ingredients.
- Heat: Bring the saucepan to the stove, and turn the heat to medium-high heat. Whisk the mixture until it begins to simmer. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue whisking the mixture for another 7-8 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and begins to pull away from the saucepan. This will be the vanilla custard.
- Cool: Pour the custard into a bowl, and allow the vanilla custard to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Then place the bowl into the refrigerator and chill until completely cool, about 4 hours. While the custard is cooling, place a 9″ loaf pan or baking dish into the freezer.
- Make the ice cream: Pour the cooled vanilla custard into the bowl of your ice cream maker, and follow the instructions for how to churn ice cream according to your machine’s instructions. Mine took about 35 minutes to make total.
- Chill: Scoop the ice cream into the chilled loaf pan, and chill the ice cream completely for 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy! Scoop the vegan vanilla ice cream into bowls, serve, and enjoy! Store any leftovers covered in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Refined sugar free: I recommend using 1/2 cup of maple syrup in lieu of the granulated sugar.
Coconut free: Swap in soy milk and sweetened condensed oat milk.
Keywords: vegan vanilla ice cream, vegan vanilla ice cream recipe, vegan ice cream, vegan ice cream recipe, dairy free ice cream