These one bowl vegan chocolate chip muffins taste like they came out of a bakery, yet are secretly vegan, gluten free, oil free, and lower in sugar than the classic! A chocolate chip muffin that everyone will love!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, see note for gluten-free options*
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk, room temperature see note for how to make vegan buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/4 cup dairy free yogurt or vegan sour cream, room temperature, see note for substitutions
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Prep: Line 12-muffin tin with cupcake liners. Measure out all ingredients. Read through all instructions before beginning.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg.
- Make the batter: In a separate bowl, whisk together the the applesauce, dairy free yogurt, melted vegan butter, and vanilla. Then add in the flour and buttermilk mixture, and use a rubber spatula to fold together until there are no more dry streaks, being careful not to over mix.
- Rest the batter: Fold in the chocolate chips, then cover the bowl with tinfoil or plastic wrap and set aside to rest for 30 minutes. While the batter is resting, preheat the oven to 415F.
- Bake: Use a large cookie scoop or a large spoon to fill each muffin tin nearly all the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with more chocolate chips if desired. Place the muffin tin into the oven to bake for 5 minutes at 415F, then reduce the temperature to 350F, and finish baking the muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool & enjoy: Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Use a butter knife to help gently separate the muffin sides from the tin. Remove each muffin from the tin and enjoy!
- Storage: Store any leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days, in the fridge for up to 6, and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Gluten Free: to make these gluten free vegan chocolate chip muffins, you can swap in 2 1/2 cups gluten free 1:1 baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur. Alternatively, you can use 2 1/4 cups oat flour and 1/4 cup arrowroot starch or powder.
Vegan Buttermilk: to make a vegan buttermilk, combine 1 cup dairy free milk with 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Allow the mixture to sit for 5-6 minutes to curdle. Then use in the recipe.
Dairy Free Yogurt: you can use either dairy free yogurt or vegan sour cream (I personally recommend Forager Project!). You can also use coconut cream fat that’s been separated from the water.
- Serving Size: 1 large muffin
- Calories: 458
- Sugar: 42.8 g
- Sodium: 266.1 mg
- Fat: 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 87.9 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 7.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan chocolate chip muffins,