This is the all time BEST skillet brownie recipe ever! Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it’s also ultra gooey, fudgy, and decadent. Not to mention, this skillet brownie is secretly vegan, eggless, dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free, and healthier!
- 1 1/3 cups (118 grams) oat flour (or 118 grams rolled oats ground into flour)
- 1/3 cup (35 grams) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (226 grams) vegan butter
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped*
- 1 cup (200 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips*
- Please be sure to read through all instructions before beginning. Measure out all ingredients as well. Prepare an iron skillet or a large 10″ pie dish with high walls by greasing the dish with olive or vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and make sure you have a rack placed in the middle of the oven. Place a small baking sheet on the bottom rack, below the middle rack.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot starch baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the vegan butter until melted and hot. Add in the chopped chocolate, and use a whisk to stir the chocolate into the vegan butter until melted. Once combined, add in the coconut sugar and applesauce, and use the whisk the mixture together until you achieve an even consistency.
- Next, gently pour in the dry ingredients in two increments, using a rubber spatula to gently stir the dry into the wet until you achieve a consistent batter. It will be very wet, but there should be no dry ingredients left. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the brownie batter into your prepared baking dish. Place the baking dish or skillet into the oven on the middle rack. The reason there’s a baking sheet below is to catch any drippings if the walls of your pie dish are too low (the brownie skillet will rise quite a bit and seem very jiggly right until the last 5 minutes of baking). Bake the skillet brownie for 45-50 minutes, or until the middle of the skillet brownie has just set (you can use an oven mitt to gently wiggle the dish. If the middle is still wiggly, allow the brownie skillet 5 more minutes to bake).
- Remove the skillet brownie from the oven and allow the skillet to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with vegan vanilla ice cream, and enjoy!
- Storage: store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 1 month.
Oat flour: if you don’t want to make this a gluten free brownie skillet, you can swap in all-purpose flour for the oat flour. Reduce the all purpose flour to 125 grams (or 1 cup spoon & leveled). If you don’t have oat flour, but need gluten free, you can also use gluten free 1:1 baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill in the blue bag, using only 125 grams again.
Vegan butter: you can swap in coconut oil for vegan butter.
Coconut sugar: you can swap in granulated sugar for coconut sugar.
Chocolate recommendations: I recommend Pascha Organics. They have both 100% chocolate, stevia sweetened, and regular vegan chocolate!
Please be sure to read through the blog post above for all tips and tricks, along with specific recommendations.
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 15.9 g
- Sodium: 118.7 mg
- Fat: 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.3 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
Keywords: skillet brownie, brownie skillet, vegan brownie skillet, brownie cookie skillet, gluten free brownies, vegan gluten free brownies