The ultimate indulgent gooey caramel cast iron skillet made entirely and secretly vegan and dairy free. This vegan cookie skillet is easy to make and even easier to eat for the perfect dessert that all eaters will love, vegan or not!
- Please check out the ingredients on both recipes before beginning to ensure you have everything.
- Prep: Make sure you’ve prepared the caramel sauce before beginning. The cashew caramel is the quickest caramel to prepare (ready in 5 minutes) and can be made nut-free with sunflower seed butter. Measure out all ingredients for the cookie skillet. Grease your 10″ or 12″ cast iron skillet* with vegan butter or oil and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Make the cookie dough: You’ll make the dough in one large batch. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the applesauce and vanilla extract, and mix again until combined. Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt, and gently fold the dry into the wet almost until the wet is fully combined. Add in the chocolate chips, and fold into the dough just until evenly distributed and the flour mixture is just combined.
- Make the cookie skillet: Scoop about half of the dough into the bottom of your skillet. Use a rubber spatula or clean hands to press the dough into the bottom of the skillet. Pour the caramel sauce on top, saving about 1/4-1/3 cup for the top of the skillet. Then spoon the remaining dough on top and use a rubber spatula to cover the caramel sauce. Part of the caramel will seep through a bit, and that’s okay. Drizzle on top the remaining caramel sauce.
- Bake the caramel cookie skillet: Place the cookie skillet into your oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy! Remove the cookie skillet from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.Top with vegan ice cream and enjoy!
Gluten free: Use Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1:1 baking flour in the blue bag for a gluten free cookie skillet.
Nut-free: Use all nut-free vegan butters and if you’re using the cashew caramel sauce, swap in sunflower seed butter.
Cast-iron skillet size: The recipe quantities are designed for a large cast iron skillet. If you have an 8″ or smaller, you can use half of the recipe (so 1 batch of cookie dough and half a batch of caramel).
Keywords: vegan cookie skillet, cookie skillet, chocolate chip cookie skillet, caramel cookie skillet, cast iron cookie skillet