Inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Chewy and decadent Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer Cake that no one will know is completely vegan and gluten free! Like eating a five-tiered bite of cookie dough and frosting, this vegan cookie cake is one for everyone to enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake:
- 3 1/2 cups gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 batch vegan vanilla buttercream
- 1 batch vegan ganache, optional
Vegan Cookie Cake Layers:
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line 6″ springform cake pans with parchment paper and/or coconut or olive oil.
- Prep the ingredients: measure out all ingredients before beginning. Prep the vegan buttermilk by mixing together the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar, then set aside.
- Make the cookie dough cake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat together the coconut sugar and vegan butter until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the applesauce and vanilla extract, and mix until combined. Then add in about half of the flour mixture along with half of the vegan buttermilk mixture. Mix until just combined, then add in the remaining, and mix again until JUST combined. Add in the chocolate chips and fold until evenly distributed (a few stirs).
- Bake the cakes: pour the batter into 5 prepared cake pans, or depending on how many cake pans you have. Bake for 23-25 minutes, checking with a toothpick to make sure they’re done.
- Cool the layers: Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans and repeat for the remaining dough. Then allow the cakes completely cool before frosting.
- Make the Vegan Vanilla Buttercream:When you’re ready to frost, prepare the vegan buttercream according to the instructions.
- Assemble the cake: Place one cake as the bottom, frost that layer evenly, and continue stacking the cake layers up and frosting until you reach the top. Top with vegan ganache if desired.
- Slice and serve: store any uneaten slices in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookie layer cake, gluten free cookie cake, vegan cookie cake, cookie cake