The Cinnamon Vegan Babka recipe is easy to make and it is just as soft, fluffy, and cake-like as the classic recipe. Twisted with a gooey cinnamon filled and topped with a cinnamon crunch coating!
- 185 grams dairy free milk, heated to 110F
- 55 grams granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 425 grams bread flour or all purpose flour
- 2.5 tsp (.25 oz) activated yeast
- 113 grams salted vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 65 grams vegan dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Filling:
- 160 grams coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon Crunch Coating:
- 80 grams granulated sugar
- 35 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Grease a medium glass bowl with olive or coconut oil, and set aside. Generously grease an 11″ loaf pan with olive or coconut oil as well. Cut a piece of parchment paper and line the loaf pan so that two ends hand off the sides to easily remove the bread once baked. Then set aside.
- Bloom the yeast: In a separate large bowl, combine the dairy free milk, 1 tsp granulated sugar, 1 tsp bread flour, and activated yeast. Mix with a wooden spoon, and cover. Place in a warm area to activate for about 10 minutes. The yeast should begin to foam and smell yeast-like (similar to beer).
- Make the dough: Once activated, add in the melted vegan butter, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract to a stand mixer with dough attachment, along with the yeast mixture. You can also mix this by hand if needed. Mix on medium speed until combined. Then sift in the remaining bread flour and mix on medium-high speed until you achieve a shaggy dough. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Knead the dough: Once it starts to form a ball, lightly flour a clean surface and knead the dough for about 2-3 minutes, until it forms a smooth dough ball.
- First proof: Place the dough ball into the medium sized greased bowl. Cover with a clean dish towel and place in a warm area (ideally above 85F) to rest for about 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising: In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Then use a fork to mix the vegan butter into the cinnamon sugar mixture until it forms a paste. Set aside.
- Shape the dough: Once doubled in size, lightly punch down the dough ball in the bowl to release the air. Lightly flour a clean surface again and roll out the dough to be about 11″ by 18.” Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture onto the dough until it reaches the edges. Then roll the dough very tightly lengthwise. Use a large kitchen knife or kitchen scissors to cut the dough lengthwise in half (the same way that you rolled it). Cross the two halves over each other. Then twist the dough tightly, pinching the ends together.
- Second proof: Carefully place the dough into your prepared loaf pan. Cover the loaf pan with a clean kitchen towel and place by or on top of the oven while it preheats to 375F. This allows the loaf to rest for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting: Make the cinnamon crunch topping. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon and sugar together. Then mix in the vegan butter again until you form a thick dough. Reserve the maple syrup for brushing onto the loaf.
- Bake the brioche: Once rested, brush the loaf with the maple syrup. Sprinkle the cinnamon crunch topping onto the loaf. Place a baking sheet under the loaf in case of spillage, and place the loaf pan into the oven to bake for 45-50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180F. Remove from the oven and allow the loaf to cool for 30 minutes in the pan before carefully removing the loaf to serve.
- Slice and enjoy: Tear, share and enjoy!
Gluten free: I have not personally tried this method for this recipe, but I imagine that my vegan gluten free cinnamon roll dough would work. I cannot guarantee it, but if you’d like to try, you’re more than welcome to! Simply make the dough through the first proof, then follow the remaining directions here from Step 7 on.
Please read through the blog post for full tips & tricks!
Keywords: vegan babka, vegan babka recipe, cinnamon babka, cinnamon babka recipe