This deliciously decadent chocolate chip cookie dough cake is stuffed with real cookie dough and baked into a chocolate chip speckled vanilla cake. With layers of cookie dough frosting and chocolate buttercream, it’s the best damn cake you’ve ever tasted. And guess what? It’s naturally vegan, eggless, and dairy free!
- 100 grams vegan butter, room temperature
- 50 grams coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 3/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 125 grams gluten free 1-to-1 flour or oat flour
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips*
Cookie Dough Cake:
- 300 grams unsweetened dairy free milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (to be mixed with dairy free milk milk)
- 460 grams all-purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour + 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 230 grams granulated sugar
- 170 grams salted vegan butter (I recommend Flora Plant butter), room temperature
- 190 grams unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract (yes, 2 tablespoons!!)
- Optional (but recommended): 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 batch of cookie dough (see above)
Cookie Dough Frosting:
- 115 grams vegan butter, room temperature
- 125 grams flour, heat treated and COOLED
- 150 grams coconut sugar
- 390 grams powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–3 tbsp dairy free milk
- 3/4 cup vegan-friendly chocolate chips
- 115 grams vegan butter, room temperature
- 390 grams powdered sugar, sifted
- 100 grams cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease three 8″ cake pans with cooking oil, and line them with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prep ingredients: Prepare the vegan buttermilk. Combine the dairy free milk with the apple cider vinegar, and set aside to sit for 5-6 minutes. You can weigh and measure the remaining ingredients during this time.
- Make the cookie dough: There’s no need to heat treat the flour here, as we’re baking the cookie dough. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Add in the flour, and use a rubber spatula to gently fold the flour into the cookie dough. Add a tablespoon of dairy-free milk here if needed, and mix until the dough is sticky, combined, and thick. Fold in the chocolate chips. Then scoop the dough into 2-tablespoon sized cookie dough balls. You should yield about 9 cookie dough balls. You can make more for the decoration of the cake!
- Make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or a large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed. Then add in the applesauce and vanilla extract. Mix again on medium speed until combined, scraping down the sides and at the bottom of the bowl as needed. Add in about half of the dry mixture, along with half of the vegan buttermilk, and mix on medium speed until just combined. Add in the remaining dry mixture and vegan buttermilk, and mix on medium speed until there are just no more dry streaks. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl as well as the sides. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake the cakes: Divide the batter between the three cake pans evenly. Drop 3 cookie dough balls into each cake layer. Bake for 35 minutes in 8″ cake pans, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool in their pans for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cooled completely (there is absolutely no warmth to the touch!), then you can prepare your buttercream.
- Vegan Cookie Dough Frosting: Cream the vegan butter in a stand mixer for about 3 minutes. Sift in the powdered sugar, flour, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract and continue beating until it becomes a fluffy buttercream. Use the dairy-free milk if needed to help incorporate the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Assemble the cake: place the first cake layer onto a cake plate or stand. Spread 1/2 of the vegan cookie dough frosting onto the cake layer, then top with the second layer and repeat. Place the cake into the fridge to chill while you make the vegan chocolate buttercream.
- Vegan Chocolate Buttercream: add vegan butter to a large bowl or stand mixer and cream for 2-3 minutes. Add in the cocoa powder and 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, continuing the beat the mixture until it’s a thick buttercream. Add in vanilla and 2-4 tablespoons of coconut/almond milk and continue to beat until desired texture.
- Finish decorating the cake: Frost cake the outside of the cake with the chocolate buttercream. Top with extra cookie dough balls and serve!
Vegan chocolate chips: I recommend Pascha Organics chocolate. They’re 100% vegan, Fair Trade, and have many options, including 100% dark chocolate, vegan milk chocolate, and even stevia sweetened chocolate.
Heat Treating the flour: you’ll only need to heat treat the flour of the cookie dough frosting, as that will be the only cookie dough part we consume raw (unless you top with additional cookie dough balls on top!). To heat treat flour, check out this article.
Gluten free: you can use gluten free 1:1 baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill in the blue bag for the entirety of this cake recipe if needed. Please still heat treat the flour where necessary.