This super rich and creamy fluffy vegan chocolate mousse is so easy to make with just 5 pantry staple ingredients and entirely dairy free, coconut free, soy free, nut free, gluten free and refined sugar free! Your new favorite healthier chocolate mousse recipe, vegan or not!
- 1 cup (7 ounces) vegan dark chocolate
- 1 cup (190 mL) aquafaba*
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) cocoa powder
- Read through all instructions before beginning. Make sure to measure and weigh out all ingredients as well.
- Melt the chocolate. In a microwave safe bowl or by tempering the chocolate over the stove, heat and stir the chocolate until melted. If using a microwave, use 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval until the chocolate is about half way melted. Then stir the chocolate until melted, without heating it again. Set the chocolate aside to cool while you make the mousse.
- Prepare the vegan chocolate mousse. First start by adding the aquafaba, cream of tartar, and 2 tbsp from the coconut sugar into a stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment. Turn the stand mixer on to medium speed, mixing the aquafaba until it begins to foam. Once the mixture starts to foam, turn the speed up to high speed, and whip the aquafaba for 6-7 minutes, until soft peaks are achieved. Then add in the cocoa powder and remaining coconut sugar. Turn the speed up to high speed again, and allow the mixture to mix for another 8-10 minutes, until medium peaks are achieved (see video + photograph references in the post).
- Fold the chocolate into the mousse: once the peaks are achieved, pour the cooled chocolate into the mousse mixture. Use a rubber spatula to gently gold the chocolate into the mousse, using a “J” swoosh movement. Fold until the chocolate is evenly distributed throughout the mousse.
- Refrigerate the mousse: once mixed, divide the mousse amongst 3-6 jars. Chill the chocolate mousse for at least 1 hour in the fridge, or overnight if making the night before.
- Serve the chocolate mousse: when ready to serve, top with homemade coconut whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Enjoy!