These super easy homemade Oreos are made with just a few simple ingredients and are naturally vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and healthier! Just like the classic chocolate creme sandwich cookie we know and love, but better!
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- ½ cup (90 grams) coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup (45 grams) dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp (10 grams) arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup (120 grams) vegan butter or coconut oil, cold
- ½ cup coconut whipped cream, vegan buttercream, coconut butter made from Edward & Son’s coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F and make sure you have 2 medium dark colored baking sheets. Make sure to read all directions beforehand, and measure out all ingredients before beginning.
- Make the Oreo dough: Cube the vegan butter or coconut oil, and set aside. In a large food processor, add in the flour, coconut sugar, dark cocoa powder, arrowroot starch, baking powder, and vegan butter/coconut oil. Pulse the ingredients until a thick and smooth dough forms. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Roll out the dough: lightly flour a piece of parchment paper and a rolling pin, and roll the dough to be about ¼” thick. Use a round cookie cutter (such as a Linzer cookie cutter) to make 36 cookies. You’ll need to re-roll the dough to achieve the 36. Place 18 cookies onto each piece of parchment paper and place the parchment paper onto the baking sheets. If the dough has warmed up, you can place the baking sheets into the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake the Oreos: place the baking sheets into the oven to bake the cookies for 10 minutes, or until the cookies have slightly puffed up and the edges are set. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. They will be soft so be careful! Then carefully transfer them to a cooling rack, where they will solidify.
- Assemble the Oreos: once cool, pipe about 1 tsp of frosting onto 18 of the cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top and chill on the cooling rack in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keywords: homemade oreos, homemade oreo cookies, vegan gluten free oreos, vegan oreos