These incredibly easy strawberry hand pies are bursting with jammy and sweet fresh strawberry filling that’s so simple to make (and no sugar added!). Filled in a flaky golden brown pastry crust that’s naturally dairy free and vegan, these easy hand pies are the perfect summer time vegan dessert!
Vegan pie crust (pastry dough):
Strawberry Pie Filling:
- 2 cups (300 g) sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp Edward & Sons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tbsp maple syrup if strawberries are too tart
Vegan egg wash:
- 1 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients. TRY ONE STRAWBERRY. If the strawberry is too tart, you may consider adding in the optional maple syrup. If the strawberries are perfectly sweet, then you can skip this.
- Make the strawberry filling first: In a medium saucepan, combine the sliced strawberries, arrowroot starch, lemon juice, and vanilla extract together until completely mixed. Turn the stovetop heat on to medium, and heat the mixture until it’s just beginning to boil. Then lower the heat to low, and continue stirring until the liquid begins to thicken, about 5-7 minutes. Once thickened, remove the strawberry filling from the heat, and set aside to cool for 20 minutes at room temperature. While the filling is cooling, make the pie dough.
- Make the pie dough: Follow the measurements for the pie crust in the pie crust recipe card linked in the ingredients section. Add the flour and arrowroot powder to a food processor, and pulse the ingredients together. Add in the cubed vegan butter to the food processor, and pulse the ingredients until the mixture resembles a sand texture. Place the lid back onto the food processor, and begin to blend again. Remove the top insert from the lid and carefully pour in the optional maple syrup and water, only adding 1 tbsp of water at a time until you reach a large smooth dough ball.
- Chill the pie dough: Place the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and form the dough into a flat disk. Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, along with the filling.
- Roll out the dough: When the pie crust is ready to be rolled, remove the dough from the fridge. Sprinkle a piece of parchment paper with flour, as well as the dough disk and a rolling pin. Gently roll the dough to be about 1/8″ thick. Use your 3-4” round cookie cutter and cut out 14 circles. You will need to re-roll the dough a few times in order to get that many.
- Spoon the strawberry pie filling into the hand pies: Spoon about 2 tbsp-1/4 cup (you don’t want to fill them too much though) of strawberry filling onto the middle of 7 of the hand pies. Then place the unfilled hand pie dough rounds on top, and press the edges into the bottom piece of dough. Use a fork to crimp the edges, and slice an “x” on top of the hand pies. Place the parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
- Chill: Place the hand pies into the fridge to chill while the oven preheats to 400F.
- Bake: Brush the tops of the hand pies with 1 tbsp of maple syrup mixed with 1 tbsp of soy milk. Place the baking sheet into the oven to bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn the oven to broil and broil for 3-4 minutes, watching carefully to make sure the pies don’t burn.
- Cool and serve: Remove from the oven and allow the strawberry hand pies to cool for 10-15 minutes. Then serve with a scoop of dairy free ice cream or homemade vegan whipped cream, and enjoy!
Gluten free: Swap in gluten-free 1:1 baking flour (Bobs’ Red Mill in the blue bag) or use the vegan oat flour pie crust.
Keywords: strawberry hand pies, hand pies, vegan hand pie, gluten free hand pies, easy hand pies