These easy and delicious gluten free vegan waffles are the perfect quick vegan breakfast for your weekend brunch! Just 5 simple ingredients, super fluffy, undetectably eggless and dairy free, and perfect for all eaters and kids alike!
- 3 cups (330 g) store bought or homemade oat flour (see notes for all purpose flour and gluten-free 1:1 baking flour)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or organic granulated cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup (80 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy-free yogurt (see notes for flax eggs option)
- 1 1/3 cup (320 mL) vegan buttermilk
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tbsp arrowroot starch, or ground cinnamon for flavor
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil for waffle machine
- Toppings of choice: berries, coconut cream, chocolate chips, nut or seed butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and optional cinnamon and arrowroot (if using) together.
- Add in the applesauce , vegan buttermilk, and optional vanilla extract. Mix just until combined (it’s okay for there to be clumps!).
- Heat the waffle machine and brush the cooking oil onto the waffle machine. Close the waffle machine, and let the oil sit there for a minute to heat. Make sure to follow the instructions for the manufacturer of your waffle maker, but typically, I give it a few more seconds after the light has gone on indicating that it’s ready. Please also make sure you’re heating the waffles to a hot temperature!
- Prepare the waffles according to your waffle machine. I recommend using 1/2 cup-2/3 cup batter per waffle.
- Gently remove the waffle from the machine with a silicone spatula (never metal) and serve with desired toppings!
- See blog post for storage and freezing tips!
Flour options: You can also swap in 2 1/2 cups (330 g) all purpose flour or 2 1/2 cups (350 g for Bob’s Red Mill in the blue bag) gluten free 1:1 baking flour.
Vegan flax eggs: Swap in 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed *mixed with 1/2 cup water, set for 5 minutes
- Serving Size: 1/2 waffle
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 53.5 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Trans Fat:
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 7.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan waffles, vegan gluten free waffles, gluten free waffles, gluten free vegan waffles, vegan Belgian waffles, healthy waffle recipe, oil free vegan waffles