This super easy pumpkin French toast recipe is secretly vegan, eggless, dairy free, and easily gluten free! With just 5 minutes to prep, this vegan pumpkin French toast is fully of pumpkin spice and melt-in-your-mouth sweet fluffy bread that’s almost custard-like. It’s the perfect combination of all the yummy fall flavors for the perfect cozy fall or winter breakfast recipe!
- 4 slices vegan Brioche bread (or thick gluten free bread)
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk (such as oat milk)
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup unsalted aquafaba*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice blend*
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients. Make sure the pancake griddle or pan is greased and ready to be heated. Be sure that you have a plate to put the soaked bread slices and another plate to put the cooked French toast.
- Make the French toast batter: In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients, except for the bread. Mix until combined.
- Dip the bread: Dip only one slice at a time, soaking the bread completely underneath the liquid. Soak for 1 minute. Then remove the bread slice and place it onto a plate or baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining slices. As the liquid lessens, you’ll need to flip the slice and soak the other side as well to fully soak in the liquid.
- Cook the pumpkin French toast: Heat a large saucepan or pancake griddle with oil or vegan butter. Once hot, place the French toast slices onto the griddle to cook for 1-2 minutes. Then flip and cook on the other side. Cook until the sides are lightly golden. Then place onto your plate.
- Serve! Serve the pumpkin French toast with maple syrup, coconut whipped cream, a dash of pumpkin pie spice, pecans, walnuts, chocolate chips, or vegan butter. Enjoy!
- Storage: Store any leftover slices in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Aquafaba: Please make sure that your can of chickpeas is indeed unsalted. Salted aquafaba will ruin this French toast recipe! You can also make your own aquafaba. It is more work, but if you’re unable to find unsalted chickpeas, then this is the route to go!
Pumpkin spice blend: If it’s unavailable in stores, you can make your own pumpkin spice blend!
Keywords: pumpkin french toast, pumpkin french toast recipe, vegan french toast, vegan french toast recipe, vegan pumpkin french toast