These ultra soft and fluffy banana bread cinnamon rolls use just banana as the egg and create the sweetest soft pillows of banana bread in cinnamon roll form! Topped with a creamy peanut butter cream cheese frosting!
- 4 1/4 cups (540 g) + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour, (plus more for flouring surface)
- 1 packet (8 g) activated yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (270 mL) dairy-free milk, unsweetened, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (87 g) banana mashed, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (57 g) salted vegan butter, melted and room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter or coconut oil, softened
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (160 g) brown sugar
- 2 large bananas, mashed
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup (120 g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup (150 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Please read through all instructions before beginning. The overnight option and gluten free option are down below in the notes section.
- Prep: Grease a medium sized bowl with olive oil or coconut oil, and set aside. Make sure the vegan butter for the dough is melted and cooled.
- Activate the yeast: In microwave-safe bowl, heat the dairy-free milk until it reaches 110F- use a food thermometer to accurately measure the temperature. Any cooler or hotter, and the yeast won’t activate properly. Add in 1 tbsp sugar. Gently whisk together, then sprinkle yeast, mix with a spoon lightly, cover, and let activate for 10 minutes in a warm area.
- Make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attachment or in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and sugar. When the yeast is activated, pour the mixture into a large bowl or a stand mixer with the dough attachment. Add in the banana, melted vegan butter, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until combine until a shaggy dough forms. Lightly flour a clean surface and place the dough onto the surface, sprinkling some extra flour on top or kneading.
- First proof: Knead the dough lightly, for 2-4 minutes, until it forms a smooth dough ball that’s not sticky. Then place the dough into the greased medium bowl, cover with a cloth or wrap, and place into a warm area to let rise for 1 hour. It should be double in size. If it’s at least 80F outside, you can place the bowl outside, otherwise you can place it in the oven (which is turned off) and turn on the oven light or start preheating the oven to 350F and place the bowl near or on top of the oven.
- While the dough is rising: grease a large casserole dish with oil and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon, and set aside.
- Make the vegan cinnamon rolls: After the dough has doubled, lightly punch down the dough. Lightly flour a clean surface, and place the dough in the middle. Sprinkle a little extra flour on top of the dough and flour the rolling pin. Roll the dough out to be a large rectangle (12 in x 18 in). Lightly spread the dough with melted vegan butter to the edges of the dough. Then sprinkle on the sugar cinnamon mixture evenly, and spread the mashed banana on top. Roll into tight rolls and away from you. Slice the roll into 12 even cinnamon rolls. To easily slice, you can use a piece of thin twine or unflavored floss. Place into the oil-greased dish.
- Second proof: Cover again with a clean towel or wrap, and place over or by the oven while the oven preheats to 350F. Let the cinnamon rolls rise for 30 minutes while the oven is preheating.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls: Place the cinnamon rolls into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the icing.
- Make the peanut butter frosting: in a medium bowl or stand mixer, cream the cream cheese and vegan butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Then add in the peanut butter and mix again until combined. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and cream again until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Serve and enjoy! Spread the frosting onto the vegan banana bread cinnamon rolls and serve warm. If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container and place them in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply warm them on a baking sheet with parchment paper at 350F for 5-7 minutes.
Gluten free: Use my gluten free cinnamon roll dough as a base, swapping out the yogurt for an equal amount of mashed banana, and add in 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp nutmeg to the dry ingredients. Use the filling here as well. Then make the cinnamon rolls according to the gluten free cinnamon roll instructions!
Overnight Option: If making a day ahead of time, complete Step 7 through the second rise, then cover the cinnamon rolls and place them in the fridge overnight. When ready to bake, allow the rolls to sit in the oven (not started) with the light on for 20-25 minutes. Then, remove the rolls from the oven, and allow the cinnamon rolls to rest over or by the oven as it preheats.
Keywords: banana bread cinnamon rolls, vegan cinnamon rolls, vegan banana cinnamon rolls, banana cinnamon rolls