These super easy baked cinnamon sugar vegan donuts taste just like a bakery with a hint of nutmeg and full of sweet cinnamon! Easily made gluten free and refined sugar free, these healthier baked vegan donuts are perfect for a fall breakfast or treat!
- 120 ml vegan buttermilk
- 160 grams gluten free flour blend or regular all purpose flour
- 100 grams coconut sugar
- 83 grams unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 66 grams vegan butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tsp cinnamon
Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 100 grams granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 115 grams vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- Make sure to read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a large 4-hole donut pan* with olive, coconut, or avocado oil. Mix together the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. From this point forward, this will be referred to as vegan buttermilk. Measure out all ingredients.
- Make the donut batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the vegan buttermilk, coconut sugar, applesauce, melted vegan butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add in the dry ingredients, and whisk together until the flour mixture is just incorporated into the wet.
- Fill the donut pan: scoop the batter into a piping bag or large plastic bag. Cut the end tip with scissors and pipe the batter into each donut cavity, filling the hole about 3/4 of the way up. With a large donut pan, you’ll yield 5 donuts, with two medium donut pans, you’ll yield 10-12.
- Bake the donuts: Bake in the oven for 22-26 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the donuts to cool in their pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer over to a cooling rack to finish cooling for 15 minutes before dipping into cinnamon sugar.
- Prep the cinnamon sugar coating: Melt the vegan butter for the dipping, and in a separate bowl, whisk together the cinnamon and coconut sugar.
- Coat the cinnamon sugar donuts: Brush each donut with melted vegan butter using a pasty brush. Brush both the top and bottom. Dip the donuts one at a time into the cinnamon sugar bowl, and flip to evenly coat. Place back onto a cooling rack to allow the butter to set for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Donut pan: you can use a large silicone donut pan, which will yield 5 donuts all together, or two small 6-donut pans, which will yield 10-12 donuts.
- Serving Size: 1 small donut with coating
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 14.5 g
- Sodium: 144.5 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.1 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 22.8 mg
Keywords: vegan cinnamon sugar donuts, cinnamon sugar donuts, vegan donuts, baked donuts, healthy, gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free