Beautifully tender, the perfect crumb, and deliciously sweet vegan lemon raspberries scones that are so easy to make and honestly, better than Starbucks! Perfect for any vegan breakfast or Mother’s Day brunch!
- 3 cups (320 g) oat flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup (70 g) granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 10 tbsp vegan butter, cubed and frozen
- 2/3 cup (170 g) vegan buttermilk, cold
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- zest from 1 whole lemon
- 2 tbsp vegan buttermilk, to be brushed onto scones
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients before beginning. Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the oat flour, arrowroot, baking powder, and sugar. Prep the vegan buttermilk.
- Cut in the butter: Add the cubed frozen vegan butter to the dry mixture, and grate the vegan butter into the flour mixture. IF you don’t have a grater, you can also use a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles a pea-sized sandy texture.
- Finish the scone dough: Add in the vegan buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, and use a spoon to mix the dough just before the dry ingredients are completely integrated.
- Add in the raspberries and lemon zest: Gently stir in the raspberries and lemon zest until evenly distributed. The dough will be sticky.
- Form the vegan scones: Use oat flour to flour a piece of parchment paper. Spoon the dough into the middle, and sprinkle flour on top of the dough. Gently shape the dough into a flat disk that’s about 7″ in diameter. Then fold the dough in half and then quarter. Press the dough down (flouring your hands once more) and shape into a flat disk again, about 7″ in diameter. This will help to laminate the dough. Use a bench scraper to divide the scones into 8 equal scones.
- Bake the scones: Place the piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet, and gently separate the scones to be spaced apart. Brush with one tablespoon of extra vegan buttermilk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place the baking sheet into the freezer to chill for 5-10 minutes. Then place the scones into the oven to bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Remove the scones from the oven. They will be lightly golden on top, and still soft. They will solidify more as they cool. Allow the scones to cool for 10-15 minutes before enjoying. Top with vegan lemon curd if desired. Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Not gluten free? Swap in all purpose flour for the oat flour at a 1:1 ratio.
Keywords: vegan scones, raspberry scones, lemon scones, lemon raspberry scones