These tender healthy chocolate chip scones are easy and completely gluten free and refined sugar free with a dairy free option! Perfect for a weekend brunch, these scones are incredibly sweet!
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, chilled and cut into tiny cubes* see note
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk, with 1 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 flaxseed egg or egg, see note for vegan option
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- coconut sugar or cane sugar for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, whisk together oat flour, sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add in cubes of butter and cut butter together with flour. There should still be small clumps of butter visible. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together maple syrup, almond/coconut milk mixture, egg, and vanilla extract together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredient and fold together until it’s a coherent batter.
- Add in chocolate chips and fold in until well combined.
- Let dough rest for 15 minutes. While resting, preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with oat flour and knead dough lightly on surface. It may be sticky, so add a dusting of more oat flour at a time.
- Once kneaded for a few minutes, shape into a circle and cut into 8 triangles.
- Place onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
*replacing vegan butter: I have not used coconut oil, but I have tested it with a vegan butter and it works great!
*for egg free: replace 1 egg with 1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tbsp water. Let sit for 5 minutes to coagulate.
- Serving Size: 1 scone (without sugar topping)
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 224
- Fat: 20
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 35
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 9
Keywords: scones, gluten free, refined sugar free, chocolate chip scones