Ultra rich and decadent chocolate zucchini cake that’s undetectably healthy! Completely vegan, dairy free, Paleo, and gluten free, it’s a moist and chocolatey slice of heaven!
- 3 cups cassava flour
- 1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/4 cups dairy free milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, patted dry
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line three 6-inch springform pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together cassava flour, cacao powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, optional espresso powder, and sea salt.
- Add in unsweetened applesauce, dairy free milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix either with a spoon or hand mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in zucchini and mix again until the zucchini is evenly spread throughout.
- Divide batter evenly amongst the 3 pans and place into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before leveling out.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- When ready to prepare the vegan buttercream, use a hand mixer to beat the softened vegan butter until it’s whipped and it begins to increase in volume.
- Sift in cacao powder and continue to beat.
- Slowly add in coconut sugar in 1/2 cup increments until it becomes a nice and thick buttercream. To help with the consistency, add in a tbsp of dairy free milk at a time until it reaches a soft, moveable yet firm consistency.
- Frost each layer and serve! Store in the refrigerator to keep the buttercream from melting, and let it sit out on the counter for 15 minutes to soften.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 424
- Sugar: 50.6 g
- Sodium: 509.4 mg
- Fat: 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 79.4 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chocolate zucchini cake, vegan chocolate zucchini cake, gluten free chocolate zucchini cake, zucchini cake recipe, vegan zucchini cake