Ultra rich and decadent chocolate zucchini cake that’s undetectably healthy! Completely vegan, dairy free, Paleo, and gluten free, it’s a moist and chocolatey slice of heaven!
- 240 g grated zucchini, patted down to 170 g
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup (350 g) organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (170 g) dairy free yogurt, room temperature*
- 3 cups (375 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour*
- 1 cup (90 g) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (240 mL) hot coffee or decaf coffee or herbal coffee
- 1 batch vegan chocolate frosting
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and line three 8 inch or 6-inch springform pans with parchment paper. Prep the zucchini and the vegan buttermilk. Set aside.
- Whisk: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the vegan butter, sugar, brown sugar, and dairy free yogurt. Add in the zucchini, and whisk until combined. Then sift in the flour, along with the cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Finish the batter: Add in the vegan buttermilk and begin to whisk all the ingredients together. Before the dry ingredients are fully incorporated, add in the hot coffee, and either whisk or use a silicone spatula to finish folding the batter until the dry ingredients are JUST incorporated.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake the cake. For three 6″ cakes, it will take 45-50 minutes; for three 8″ cakes, it will take 32-35 minutes. The cakes are finished when the top is completely set and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven.
- Cool: Allow the cakes to cool in their pans for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting (about 1-2 hours depending on how warm your kitchen is).
- When ready to assemble: Once the cakes are cool, prepare the chocolate frosting according to instructions. Assemble the chocolate cake and decorate as desired.
- Slice and serve: Slice and serve your vegan chocolate zucchini cake. Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Dairy free yogurt: You can also substitute in an equal amount of applesauce or pumpkin puree.
Gluten free: I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1:1 baking flour in the blue bag. Use the cup measurements rather than the gram measurements for the gluten free flour blend.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 424
- Sugar: 50.6 g
- Sodium: 509.4 mg
- Fat: 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 79.4 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chocolate zucchini cake, vegan chocolate zucchini cake, gluten free chocolate zucchini cake, zucchini cake recipe, vegan zucchini cake