These super moist and extra soft & tender vegan pumpkin muffins are the best of fall baking (well, that and pumpkin pie and apple cider donuts!). These one bowl vegan pumpkin muffins are filled with a dairy free cream cheese, and are honestly better than Starbucks!! You just need one bowl, a whisk, and a few easy ingredients!
Vegan Pumpkin Muffins:
- 2 1/4 cup (290 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (260 g) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup (150 g) organic granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 g) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 g) dairy free yogurt or applesauce, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113 g) avocado oil or neutral oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Vegan Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter or neutral oil
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400 and line a cupcake tin with 11-12 cupcake liners. Measure out all ingredients before beginning.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling: In a small bowl, cream together the cream cheese, cornstarch, and brown sugar with a hand mixer. Once mixed, set aside.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, pumpkin puree, sugar, brown sugar, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract. Then add in the pumpkin pie spice blend, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt, followed by the apple cider vinegar. Finally, add in the flour, and use a silicone spatula to fold the flour into the batter just until the dry is incorporated into the wet.
- Fill the pumpkin muffins. Scoop batter into each muffin liner to the top of the liner. Then fill a piping bag with the cream cheese filling, and use scissors to slice the tip of the piping bag. Place the piping bag tip into a pumpkin muffin just before it hits the bottom of the muffin pan. Then gently press the piping bag, squeezing about 2-3 tbsp of cream cheese filling into the muffin. Allow the piping bag to come up as you fill the muffin (see photos). Then repeat for the remaining muffins.
- Bake the pumpkin muffins: Place the pumpkin muffins into the oven to bake for 5 minutes at 400F, then reduce the oven temperature to 350F, and continue baking for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. The tops of the muffins should be lightly golden and set. Remove from the oven once done.
- Serve and enjoy! Allow the muffins to cool for 15-20 minutes in their pan before serving. Then serve and enjoy!
- For the cinnamon sugar topping: If you’d like to coat the tops of the muffins with a cinnamon sugar topping, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon or pumpkin spice together in a small bowl. Then brush the top of each muffin with melted vegan butter or oil. Dip the top of the muffin into cinnamon sugar and enjoy!
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days or freeze for up to a month.
Gluten free: Use gluten free 1:1 baking flour, such as King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin, no streusel on top
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 13.4 g
- Sodium: 116.7 mg
- Fat: 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.2 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 21.9 mg
Keywords: vegan pumpkin muffins, Starbucks pumpkin muffins, dairy free pumpkin muffins, pumpkin muffins, low fat pumpkin muffins, pumpkin spice muffins