Easy one bowl healthy pumpkin muffins that are bursting with chocolate chips for the best healthy fall dessert! Filled with real pumpkin and completely vegan and gluten free, these pumpkin spice muffins are the best sweet treat!
Come September 1st (let’s be honest, I started pulling a Starbucks move and searching for pumpkin recipes August 20th haha!), my mornings, afternoons, and evenings have been filled with one thing.
Okay, okay, so this year it really started early. I’m a little eager to start my yearly Hocus Pocus movie marathon (yes, I am one of those).
I’m a lover of all things fall: the sweaters, the cozy boots, the apple picking, pumpkin carving, pumpkin pie making, leaf pile jumping, the whole nine yards.
So naturally, I needed to whip up a healthy pumpkin recipe stat for the Banana Diaries because I can’t have you thinking I’m not about fall. And thus, I give you: HEALTHY PUMPKIN MUFFINS.
Trust me, you’re going to be making these every week!
Why are these the best pumpkin spice muffins?
These one bowl vegan pumpkin muffins are literally like autumn just wrapped up in the most perfectly chocolatey and warm spiced bite.
Can that be a thing?
Seriously though, these healthy pumpkin muffins have the perfect ratio of pumpkin to gluten free flour, making them incredibly moist and decadent without that normal cardboard taste you associate with things being gluten free.
Not one of my taste testers (I’ve now assembled an array of them haha!) thought these gluten free pumpkin muffins were “healthy,” not to mention vegan, including my mom (who, by the way, has a knack for detecting what’s gluten free/vegan and what’s not!!).
That’s a pretty dang good turnout, if you ask me.
Plus, you only need one bowl!
Forget your pumpkin mix and just use the real stuff!
Healthy pumpkin muffins ingredients
What’s really cool about these one bowl vegan pumpkin muffins is that the ingredients are extraordinarily simple, and you’ll have a few options if you don’t have every ingredient on hand.
For these muffins, you’ll need:
- Pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- Gluten free flour: I recommend Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour (not their regular gluten free flour), but this recipe also works with cassava flour for a Paleo version, and regular all-purpose flour for a non gluten free version.
- Ground flaxseed: for making the vegan flaxseed “egg”.
- Coconut sugar: you can use cane sugar here if you don’t mind it not being refined sugar free.
- Maple syrup: for a fall flavor!
- Pumpkin spice blend: you can also make your own here!
- Olive oil or unsweetened applesauce (for a low fat version)
- Chocolate chips: I recommend either Enjoy Life or Lily’s Sweets for a vegan chocolate chip.
How to make the best healthy pumpkin muffins vegan
Once you know how to make these healthy pumpkin muffins, you won’t be able to stop. They’re that good and that easy.
To start, whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Then add in the wet ingredients and combine it all together until it’s a thick and consistent batter.
Fold in the chocolate chips (if you’re making chocolate chip pumpkin muffins, which I highly recommend).
Scoop the batter into muffin liners and bake!
The hardest part about this healthy pumpkin muffins recipe is that you’ll have to be a bit patient while they cool in the tin. I know, I know, so cliche but so true.
Allowing the muffins to cool in the pan will actually help the muffins from sticking to the muffins liners, especially if you’re using applesauce.
Trust me, people will be knocking down your doors, so just be prepared if you’re sharing these!
Tips & Tricks for making vegan pumpkin muffins
I always love these sections of posts because I feel like you can make a recipe your own in this section.
I have a few notes that I would like to add that will really make these vegan pumpkin muffins just knock your boots off (get it? Because FALL!):
- Don’t feel the need to limit yourself to just chocolate chips! If you like nuts in your muffins, go for it! I would recommend using walnuts or pecans- that would be an amazing combo! If you’re nut free, you could even add in pumpkin seeds for double the pumpkin 😉
- This recipe works well with a few different flours. So I’ve tested two others flours, aside from my beloved Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour (aka bae. Not sponsored, but boy do I wish it was haha! I love them!): cassava flour works great here for the Paleo crowd, as does regular flour, if you’re just looking for a lightened up vegan pumpkin recipe without needing it to be gluten free.
- For oil free, use unsweetened applesauce. I’ve tested this with both olive oil and with applesauce, both are delightfully delicious!
- These muffins are more than just breakfast! You can make these pumpkin spice muffins as mini versions and pack them for a healthy snack or treat, warm them up with a little nut butter, or even crumble up with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream (which I had as a recent dessert- amazing!).
How to store pumpkin muffins
Okay, so you’ve made your pumpkin muffins- now what?!
Well, there are a few options:
- Store at room temperature: these pumpkin muffins will last for up to 5 days in an air tight container or bag at room temperature.
- Place into the fridge: much like the room temperature option, store the muffins in an airtight container or bag for up to 1 week!
- Freeze! If you want to have these muffins for longer than 1 week, you can store them in the freezer as well; these pumpkin muffins will last for about 1-2 months in the freezer.
I hope you loved these healthy pumpkin muffins as much as I do! They seriously are so fun and easy to make, so if you give them a go, let me know in the comments below, as well as giving it a rating!
And of course, I’d absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there (and thank you to all that do! I really love seeing them, you guys are so creative and GREAT bakers!).
Happy vegan pumpkin muffin baking!!
More vegan pumpkin recipes you’ll love:
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
Easy one bowl healthy pumpkin muffins that are bursting with chocolate chips for the best healthy fall dessert! Filled with real pumpkin and completely gluten free, these pumpkin spice muffins are the best sweet treat!
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour or all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or regular sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/3 cup water*
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup olive oil or unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line 2 cupcake tins with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and coconut sugar.
- Add in flaxseed eggs, olive oil/applesauce, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix together until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips and mix together until well combined.
- Scoop batter into each muffin liner about 3/4 of the way full.
- Place the muffins into the oven and bake for 22-24 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days or freeze for up to a month.
*Allow the flaxseed mixture to sit for 5-7 minutes until the flaxseed begins to coagulate.
Keywords: healthy pumpkin muffins, vegan pumpkin muffins, dairy free pumpkin muffins, pumpkin muffins, low fat pumpkin muffins, pumpkin spice muffins