This super moist and fluffy vegan zucchini bread is the best way to use up that extra zucchini! Easy, secretly healthier, and naturally gluten free and dairy free, this vegan zucchini bread is the perfect breakfast bread or snack for the late summer.
- 240 grams shredded zucchini* before being patted down to 190 g
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) unsweetened dairy-free milk mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, room temperature
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour or gluten-free 1:1 baking flour*
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (200 g) coconut sugar or granulated sugar*
- 1/3 cup (85 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (70 g) vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Please read through all instructions before beginning. Measure out all ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350F, and prepare a 9″ loaf pan with cooking oil lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prep: make sure that the zucchini is shredded. Pat down the zucchini with a clean kitchen towel to weigh around 190 grams. In a small bowl, combine the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar if you haven’t already done so. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. You can also just mix everything into one bowl after you’ve mixed the wet ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients: in a large bowl, whisk together the vegan butter and sugar. Then add in the applesauce, vanilla extract, and zucchini, mixing until just combined.
- Make the vegan zucchini bread batter: add in the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to begin to fold the dry into the wet. Pour in the vegan buttermilk to help you mix the batter. When the dry ingredients are about 75% of the way mixed in, add in the zucchini and chocolate chips, and continue gently folding until the dry ingredients have just been incorporated, and the zucchini and chocolate chips are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Bake the vegan zucchini bread: pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan, and top with extra chocolate chips if desired. Bake the bread for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a cooling rack to cool for another 10-15 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy! Serve this vegan zucchini bread warm or cool.
- Storage: store any leftover slices in an airtight container or bag in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Zucchini: I recommend using a digital kitchen scale here to properly weigh the zucchini, as you won’t know how much water you’ve soaked out of the zucchini afterwards. It’s important to aim for about 190 grams of zucchini left after you’ve patted the zucchini.
Gluten free: I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour in the blue bag. It’s been tested and works great!
Lower sugar option: you can safely reduce the sugar content here to 150 grams.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 12.8 g
- Sodium: 230 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.5 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan zucchini bread, healthy zucchini bread, gluten free zucchini bread, chocolate chip zucchini bread, zucchini bread, healthy zucchini dessert recipes