Green and red Pistachio cupcakes topped with a vegan buttercream frosting made into a Santa Hat! Naturally vegan and gluten free, these Christmas cupcakes are perfectly Grinch-like and festive!
- 1 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1 cup pistachios, pulsed into almost a flour
- 1 cup coconut/almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Optional: 1 tsp almond extract
- Optional: 1 tsp natural green food coloring or 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 3–4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp red natural food coloring or 1 tbsp beet powder
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line two cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cassava flour, pistachios, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut or almond milk with apple cider vinegar, ground flaxseed with water, applesauce, vanilla extract, coconut sugar, and optional almond extract together until well combined.
- Sift in flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add in the optional natural green food coloring or 1 tbsp matcha powder, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 of the way full and place the cupcake tins into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the vegan buttercream frosting, use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat together the vegan butter and powdered sugar until it’s a thick frosting.
- To make a Santa hat, separate about 2/3 cup frosting into a separate bowl to keep white. Add in a few drops of natural red food coloring or beet powder into the main frosting and mix with a hand mixer until the color is thoroughly distributed.
- Add the red frosting into a large tipped piping bag and the white frosting into a small tipped piping bag. Pipe the Santa hat first with the red, then add the pom pom and white rim second.
- Repeat for all cupcakes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pistachio cupcakes, vegan pistachio cupcakes, Paleo cupcakes