This is truly the ultimate vegan banana cake recipe that doesn’t even taste vegan nor dairy free! With a super moist and rich fluffy banana cake that’s slightly spiced with cinnamon and a delicious dairy free cream cheese frosting, this will be your favorite vegan cake recipe ever!
- 1 1/4 cups (300 grams) unsweetened dairy free milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 2/3 cups (460 grams) all purpose flour or gluten-free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (310 grams or roughly 3 medium) super ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (45 grams) dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup (226 grams) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–3 tbsp dairy free milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease two 8″ cake pans with cooking oil, and line them with parchment paper. Set aside. See note for different cake pan sizes.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk. Combine the dairy free milk with the apple cider vinegar, and set aside to sit for 5-6 minutes. You can weigh and measure the remaining ingredients during this time, including mashing the banana.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, arrowroot starch, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Make the batter: In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or a large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter, granulated sugar, and coconut sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed. Then add in the banana, applesauce, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract. Mix again on medium speed until combined, scraping down the sides and at the bottom of the bowl as needed. Add in about half of the dry mixture, along with half of the vegan buttermilk, and mix on medium speed until just combined. Add in the remaining dry mixture and vegan buttermilk, and mix on medium speed until there are just no more dry streaks. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl as well as the sides.
- Divide the batter between the three cake pans evenly, and bake for 40 minutes in 8″ cake pans, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool in their pans for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cooled completely (there is absolutely no warmth to the touch!), then you can prepare your vegan cream cheese frosting.
Vegan Cream Cheese frosting:
- When ready to frost the cakes, add vegan butter and vegan cream cheese to a large bowl or stand mixer and cream for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, continuing the beat the mixture until it’s a thick buttercream.
- Add in vanilla and 2-4 tablespoons of coconut/almond milk and continue to beat until desired texture.
- Frost cake and enjoy!
Gluten free: to make this banana cake gluten free, use gluten free 1:1 baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill in the blue bag.
Cake pan sizes: you can make this cake as a three layer 6″ cake instead of two layer 8″ cake. For the bake time, it might vary to 37 minutes. Keep an eye on the cakes as they near the end of the bake time.
Dairy free milk: you can use any dairy free milk here.
Cake flour: you can swap in cake flour here in place of the all purpose. Just omit the sea salt.
Salt: if your vegan butter is salted, you can omit the salt in the dry ingredients.
Please read the full post above the recipe card for all tips & tricks on how to properly bake this cake!
Keywords: vegan banana cake, banana layer cake, vegan banana cake recipe, eggless banana cake