Easy vegan Boston cream pie from scratch that’s filled with a vegan custard filling and topped with a simple chocolate ganache! Decadent yet healthy!
- 3 2/3 cup organic white flour, or 1-to-1 gluten free baking flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (can sub in cornstarch)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- Mix coconut milk and apple cider vinegar together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 8″ cake pans with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine applesauce, coconut milk mixed with ACV, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and melted vegan butter with a hand mixer. Beat until smooth.
- Fold in wet ingredients to dry and mix until well combined. It should be a thick, yet drippy batter.
- Pour the cake batter into each pan evenly and place into the oven to bake for 25-27 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and level the cakes by slicing off the top to create even edges. Let cool before creating the cake.
- In a large saucepan, heat coconut cream, vanilla extract, vegan butter and coconut sugar until it’s all melted. Let the milk mixture come to a boil, then reduce the heat.
- Sift in arrowroot powder while stirring continuously.
- Keep stirring the coconut milk mixture until it becomes thick like a soupy pudding.
- Pour into a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap or tin foil, and place into the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from the fridge when ready to create the cake.
Chocolate Ganache & Putting it all together:
- Make the ganache when you’re ready to stack the cake.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, heat the butter until it melts in the microwave.
- Remove from the microwave and pour in the chocolate chips. Stir the butter and chocolate chips together until it becomes thick and smooth.
- Let the ganache sit for a few minutes on the table to thicken, or place into the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Place one layer of the cake on the bottom and top with coconut cream. Place the second layer on top.
- Spoon chocolate ganache over the top of the cake and gently push it to the edges so that it slightly drips over. The chocolate ganache should be moveable but not completely drippy when you do this.
- Place the cake into the fridge to set for 10 minutes then remove and serve!
Keywords: boston cream pie, vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, coconut cream, vegan chocolate ganache