This rich and fudgy brownie pie features a flaky dairy free all-butter pie crust and the most decadent crinkle-top brownie center. All made entirely vegan, without eggs and dairy free!
- 2 cups (250 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour*, plus more for rolling
- 3/4 cup (180 g) salted vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- 3 tbsp (30 g) dairy free sour cream
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 6–8 tbsp chilled water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy milk
Vegan Brownie Filling:
- 1 2/3 cup (200 g) all-purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1/2 cup (50 g) Dutch Processed French Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 6 ounces high quality vegan dark Chocolate
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) aquafaba*, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/2 cup coffee (decaf if needed- you can sub water), room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Additional 1/2 cup (80 g) high quality vegan dark chocolate
- Prep: You’ll first start by making the pie dough. You can use either a 9” or a 10” deep pie dish. Alternatively, you can use a 9” or 10” store bought pie crust. Then we’ll make the brownie batter. For first time pie crust bakers, check out my pie crust guide for all tips.
- Make the pie dough: Add the flour (if gluten free, add in the arrowroot powder as well- see notes), sugar, and salt to a food processor, and pulse the ingredients together.
- Add in the vegan butter: Add in the cubed vegan butter to the food processor, and pulse the ingredients until the mixture resembles a sand texture.
- Finish the dough: Place the lid back onto the food processor, and begin to blend again. Remove the top insert from the lid and carefully pour in the optional maple syrup (if you didn’t use sugar) and water, only adding 1 tbsp of water at a time until you reach a large smooth dough ball (see post pictures).
- Chill: Stop the food processor and remove the dough. Place the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and form the dough into a flat disk. Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or even overnight if needed.
- Prep: When the pie crust is ready to be rolled, remove the dough from the fridge and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll: Sprinkle a piece of parchment paper with flour, as well as the dough disk and a rolling pin. Gently roll the dough to be about 1/8″ thick and at least 1″ wider than the pie dish edge. Gently drape the pie dough over the pie dish and gently press the dough into the sides of the pie dish.
- Par-bake: Make the vegan egg wash by whisking together the maple syrup and soy milk. Then brush the pie with the vegan egg wash. Place the dough back into the fridge and chill for at least 15 minutes while the oven is preheating to 400F. Make sure to poke holes into the crust and use pie weights. Bake the pie for 10-12 minutes to partially bake. Remove from the oven and fill with desired filling, following the directions from the brownie filling recipe for the remainder of the baking. Keep the oven on and reduce the heat to 350F.
- Make the brownie batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, aquafaba, vanilla extract, and flaxseed mixture. You can use a hand mixer to make it faster, but whisk vigorously until the sugar granules are completely dissolved. This is crucial, as this gives the vegan brownies their crinkle top. Set aside.
- Heat the chocolate: Heat the vegan butter until melted and hot in a heat-safe bowl. Then add in the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to sit for a few seconds to start melting. Then add in the cocoa powder as well, and whisk until the chocolate chips have completely melted and the cocoa powder is integrated into the mixture.
- Finish the brownie batter: Use a rubber spatula to spoon the chocolate fudge mixture into the dissolved sugar mixture. Whisk until combined. Then add in the flour and sea salt, and gently whisk JUST until the flour is completely incorporated. The brownie batter will feel really thick.! Continue whisking just until the flour is incorporated. Add in the additional chocolate, and fold into the brownie batter to evenly distribute.
- Bake: Pour the brownie batter into the par-baked pie crust. Bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out nearly clean. Remove the brownie pie from the oven, and allow the brownie pie to cool for 20-30 minutes before slicing.
- Slice and enjoy: Top with flaky sea salt, slice and serve!
Gluten free flour: If you’re using gluten-free flour, add in 1 tbsp arrowroot powder. It will help with the texture!
Aquafaba: This is chickpea bring- the liquid in your chickpea can! If you can’t have chickpeas, you can use soy milk, oat milk, or almond milk.
Keywords: brownie pie, vegan brownie pie