This super easy and decadent vegan chocolate banana bread is packed with fudgy chocolate chips and so simple to make! You won’t even know this double chocolate banana bread is eggless, dairy free and gluten free! It’s the perfect vegan breakfast treat!
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) dairy-free milk, such as oat milk or coconut milk, room temperature with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups (250 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1/3 cup (35 g) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (9.2 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (4.6 g) baking soda
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups or 450 grams)
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 g) vegan butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/3 cup (79 mL) water
- 1 tsp (4.2 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (170 g) vegan chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9″ loaf pan with oil and line with parchment paper.
- Make sure that the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar are mixed together. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the mixture to curdle. This will be called the vegan buttermilk from now on.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in the mashed banana, sugar, vegan butter, flaxseed mixture, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine completely.
- Add in the dry ingredients, along with the vegan buttermilk, and carefully stir the dry ingredients into the wet, almost mixing until there are no more dry streaks.
- Once the dry ingredients are almost all the way incorporated, fold in the chocolate chips with a silicone spatula, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and place the loaf into the oven to bake for 70-80 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the chocolate banana bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove from the pan, and slice and serve!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container or baggy, and in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Gluten free: Use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour in US cup measurements.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 16.6 g
- Sodium: 93.5 mg
- Fat: 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.4 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: vegan chocolate banana bread, double chocolate banana bread, chocolate banana bread, vegan banana bread, vegan banana bread, chocolate banana bread