These super easy vegan ice cream sandwiches are such a wonderful summer dessert recipe to cool off! Made with dairy free ice cream and homemade vegan chocolate chip cookies that can easily be made gluten free, these are the perfect homemade ice cream sandwiches for all eaters!
- If you’re making your own ice cream, please do so prior to baking the cookies!
- Allow the ice cream to sit at room temperature as you prepare the cookies.
- Make the cookies: Start by preparing the vegan chocolate chip cookies according to directions. I recommend using a big cookie scoop (about 3 tbsp) to yield 10 even cookies (which will yield 5 ice cream sandwiches). Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes on a cooling rack, then place them into the refrigerator to chill.
- Spread the ice cream: While the cookies are cooling, your ice cream should be soft enough to spread. In a 9×9 baking dish, spoon the ice cream into the dish and spread with a butter knife or spatula to smooth. Place the ice cream in the freezer to chill for 1 hour.
- Make the ice cream sandwiches: Pair the cookies that are the most even in size together. After your ice cream has chilled, remove the baking dish from the freezer and the cookies from the fridge. Place the bottom of one cookie on top of the ice cream and use a knife to trace a circle into the ice cream. Then use the knife to cut the circle into the ice cream. Using a spatula, carefully remove the ice cream circle, and place it on the bottom of the tracing cookie. Place the second cookie on top and rest the ice cream sandwich on a baking tray. Repeat for the remaining ice cream sandwiches, working quickly so as not to melt the ice cream.
- If it’s a particularly hot day, you may need to freeze the ice cream sandwiches after forming them to ensure they don’t melt immediately. Otherwise, enjoy as is! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Keywords: vegan ice cream sandwiches, vegan ice cream sandwich, dairy free ice cream sandwiches, homemade ice cream sandwiches