Ultra rich and chocolatey easy vegan chocolate muffins are made in just one bowl and with simple ingredients! Like dessert for breakfast, you can easily make this double chocolate muffins gluten free too!
- 2 cups (250 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour (see notes for how to measure gluten free flour)
- 1/2 cup (40 g) unsweetened all natural cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1 cup (200 g) organic granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 g) dairy free yogurt or vegan sour cream, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cups (240 mL) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (290 g) chocolate chips
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients before beginning.
- Make the batter: In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and arrowroot starch (alternatively, you can measure the dry ingredients into a large flour sifter, and sift in the dry ingredients where it says to add the flour). Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, vegan butter, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract. Add in the flour mixture then the vegan buttermilk, and use a silicone spatula to gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix just before the flour is completely mixed in, then add in the chocolate chips, and fold JUST until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Rest the batter: Cover the bowl with either plastic wrap or a reusable cloth bowl cover, and place the bowl into the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight. This is important in order to get the high muffin tops!
- Before you’re ready to bake: Preheat the oven to 425F, and line a 12-muffin tin with muffin liners.
- When the oven is ready: It’s time to bake the muffins! Scoop the batter into the muffin tin and fill the muffin cups to the top of the muffin pan. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake the muffins: Bake the vegan chocolate muffins for just 5 minutes at 425F. Then without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 350F to bake for another 15-18 minutes. The muffin tops should be high, and a toothpick should come out clean when fully baked.
- Cool and serve: Remove the muffins from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes before enjoying. Then enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container or bag for up to 5 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Gluten free: To make these gluten free chocolate muffins, use either 2 cups of gluten-free 1:1 baking flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill in the blue bag) or if measuring by weight, use 280 g.
Keywords: vegan chocolate muffins, gluten free chocolate muffins, vegan muffin recipe, vegan double chocolate muffins, vegan chocolate chip muffins