This is the ultimate vegan cornbread recipe: super moist, soft, buttery, and just lightly sweet. You won’t be able to tell that this cornbread recipe is vegan, eggless, dairy free, and easily gluten free. A classic Thanksgiving side that everyone will love, vegan or not!
- 125 grams all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour or oat flour (see notes)
- 140 grams cornmeal
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 75 grams salted vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 65 grams unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, room temperature
- 240 ml vegan buttermilk
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8×8 baking pan with olive oil, and place a piece of parchment paper down. Make sure that the vegan buttermilk is prepared (mix together the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to curdle).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Make the cornbread batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the vegan butter, applesauce, and maple syrup. Add in the dry ingredients, along with the vegan buttermilk, and gently whisk together until there are no more dry clumps.
- Bake the vegan cornbread: Pour the cornbread batter into your prepared baking pan. Place into the oven to bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Slice and serve: Remove the cornbread from the oven, and allow it to cool in its pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack. Slice and serve!
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Oat flour: Please add in an additional 1 tsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch to your oat flour to help it bind. Once baked, leave the cornbread for another 10 minutes in the baking pan to cool before transferring it. The oat flour cornbread is more crumby if you slice it immediately. Patience is key!
Keywords: vegan cornbread, cornbread recipe, vegan cornbread recipe, eggless cornbread