Ooey gooey vegan double chocolate chip cookies that taste like a brownie in cookie form! Stress-free baking and easy to make gluten free, these are the best vegan Christmas cookies!
- 1 1/4 cups (160 g) organic flour or gluten free 1-to-1 flour
- 1/2 cup (50 g) natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/2 cup (115 g) vegan butter or coconut oil, room temperature*
- 1/3 cup (83 g) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 1–2 tbsp dairy free milk, if needed for mixing batter
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sea salt, and optional espresso powder.
- Make the cookie dough: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Then add in the applesauce, and mix again until incorporated. Add in the flour mixture, and use a rubber spatula to gently fold the dry into the wet, being careful to stop mixing just before the dry is completely mixed. in
- Add in the chocolate chips: Fold in chocolate chips and/or chocolate chunks, and use a tablespoon or two of dairy free milk here as needed to fold in the chips until they’re evenly distributed in the dough.
- Chill the dough: if your dough is too sticky or it’s a super hot day, you can chill the dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Bake the cookies: Scoop about 1 1/2 tbsp of dough and roll it into a ball. Place it onto the baking sheet and repeat for the remaining dough, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes (I bake mine for exactly 12 minutes), then remove from the oven.
- Optional pan-banging method: Once the cookies have fully baked, remove the pan from the oven and tap the pan onto the countertop a few times (I do about 2-3 times) to create a brownie crinkle.
- Allow the cookies to set: Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. You can add additional chocolate chips if you’d like on top.
- Storage: store any leftover cookies in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Gluten free: use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour for gluten free cookies.
Refined Sugar Free: swap in coconut sugar for both the brown sugar and granulated sugar for refined sugar free.
Cocoa powder: please use all natural cocoa powder over both Dutch-processed and cacao powder. See blog post for more notes on that!
Please read through the blog post for any additional tips!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie (1 tbsp dough)
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 8.5 g
- Sodium: 86.2 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 10.6 mg
Keywords: vegan double chocolate chip cookies, vegan Christmas cookies, vegan chocolate cookies, brownie cookies