Ooey gooey vegan double chocolate chip cookies that taste like a brownie in cookie form! Stress-free baking and easy to make gluten free, these are the best vegan Christmas cookies!
- 1 cup (125 grams) organic flour or gluten free 1-to-1 flour
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/2 cup (108 grams) vegan butter or coconut oil, softened but not melted
- 1/3 cup (83 grams) applesauce, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (95 grams) coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tbsp dairy free milk, if needed for mixing batter
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the coconut oil, applesauce, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Sift in the cacao powder, flour, espresso powder, baking soda, and sea salt, and mix until it’s a thick batter. If the dry ingredients are still not fully incorporating, you can add in 1-2 tbsp dairy free milk to help.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp of dough and roll it into a ball. Place it onto the baking sheet and repeat for the remaining dough, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- If you find your cookie dough is sticky, you can place the baking sheet into the oven to chill for 10 minutes. Otherwise, you can directly place the baking sheet into the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the cookies have fully baked, remove the pan from the oven and tap the pan onto the countertop a few times (I do about 3 or 4 times) to flatten the cookies.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
Keywords: brownie cookie, vegan double chocolate chip cookies, vegan Christmas cookies