Easy and delicious vegan gingerbread cookies that are crisp, lightly sweet, and packed with flavor! Naturally gluten free, these gingerbread man cookies make for one of the best healthy Christmas cookies for Santa!
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free 1-to-1 flour or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/3 cup water
- 1 batch vegan royal icing
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the vegan butter or coconut oil and sugar until combined. Add in the molasses and ground flaxseed, and continue to beat until completely combined.
- Add wet ingredients into dry and combine into a stick dough. Round dough into a ball, and wrap with plastic wrap. Place the dough into the fridge and chill for 30 minutes.
- When the dough is chilled, lightly flour a clean surface and rolling pin, and roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thick (it doesn’t have to be exact!).
- Choose your cookie cutters, lightly flour the side that is going to be cutting into the dough, and press the cookie cutter into the dough. Repeat for the remaining dough, rolling out the dough with the extra scraps until all of the dough is gone.
- Place the gingerbread men cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (you can use a spatula if it’s hard to pick them up!) and place the cookies back into the fridge to chill while the oven preheats to 350F.
- When the oven is preheated, baked the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until slightly puffy and slightly tough to touch (they shouldn’t be soft).
- Let the cookies cool for 15 minutes before icing.
- Make the vegan royal icing according to the post instructions.
- Spoon icing into an icing bag with tip, and pipe a design onto each cookie. Let set for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Keywords: gingerbread cookies, vegan gingerbread cookies, christmas cookies