Deliciously decadent gluten free and vegan pumpkin cake with a dairy free pumpkin spice buttercream frosting! This cake is shaped into a pumpkin and so fun to make and eat!
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake:
- 3 cups cassava flour
- 1 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder (or 1 tsp baking soda + 2 tsp vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/4 cups pea milk, coconut milk, or almond milk
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Buttercream:
- 2 cups vegan butter, softened but still cold
- 5–6 cups powdered sugar or coconut sugar, pureed into powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp beet powder, or natural food dye
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- Optional: 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line three 6-inch springform pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cassava flour, cacao powder, pumpkin pie spice, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, optional espresso powder, and sea salt.
- Add in unsweetened applesauce, dairy free milk, pumpkin puree, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix either with a spoon or hand mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Divide batter evenly amongst the 3 pans and place into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before leveling out.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Pumpkin Spice Frosting:
- Place softened vegan butter into a large bowl and use a large hand mixer to beat the butter until whipped.
- Sift in the powdered sugar or coconut sugar in increments, continuing to beat the mixture the entire time.
- Add in the food coloring and continue to mix until fluffy.
- Store in the fridge until ready to frost.
Assembly of Pumpkin Shaped Cake:
- Once the layers have cooled, stack them on a cake stand or plate, smearing about 1/3 cup frosting in between the first and second layers, and the second and third layers.
- Place into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and sculpt the cake into the shape of a circle or oval.
- Score the cake for the pumpkin ridges, and gently carve into the cake to create the ridges.
- Crumb coat the cake and place it back into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- When you’re ready for the final frosting, remove the cake from the fridge and frost it all around, using a frosting knife.
- Place the cake back into the fridge to harden the frosting for 30 minutes, if you want to smooth the frosting over.
- If you want to smooth the frosting, remove it from the fridge and use gloves or clean hands to rub the frosting smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
For completely Paleo frosting: use coconut sugar rather than powdered sugar, but puree the coconut sugar in a food processor to make into a powder. Your frosting will be more caramel colored.
For the pumpkin color: use either turmeric and beet powder or natural food dye for coloring.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin cake, vegan pumpkin cake, gluten free pumpkin cake, pumpkin shaped cake