These amazing and easy vegan red velvet cupcakes taste just like the real deal! This is the easiest vegan cupcake recipe and yield the most perfect red velvet cupcakes, vegan or not!
- 150 grams unsweetened dairy-free milk, room temperature
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 188 grams all-purpose flour or 1-to-1 gluten free flour with 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 57 grams vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 125 grams granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 125 grams unsweetened dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 oz vegan red food coloring or 2 tbsp beet powder
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese, room temperature*
- 1 cup vegan butter, room tempearture
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup cupcake tin with liners. Measure out all ingredients before beginning. In a small bowl, combine the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. Mix together and set aside to curdle.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Make the batter: In a medium bowl, use a whisk or hand mixer to mix together the melted vegan butter, sugar, dairy free yogurt, vanilla, and red food coloring. Mix until completely combined. Then add in the flour and curdled dairy free milk, and whisk the flour into the batter just until combined.
- Bake the cupcakes: Divide the batter evenly into each cupcake liner, filling each cupcake about 2/3 of the way full. Place the cupcake tin into the oven to bake for about 25-27 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven.
- Cool the cupcakes: Allow the cupcakes to cool in the cupcake tin for 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely before making the vegan cream cheese frosting.
- Make the cream cheese frosting: Add vegan butter and vegan cream cheese to a large bowl and beat together with a hand mixer. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, continuing the beat the mixture until it’s a thick buttercream. Add in vanilla and continue to beat until desired texture.
- Frost the cupcakes: Spoon the vegan cream cheese frosting into a piping bag and frost each cupcake. Serve and enjoy!
Vegan cream cheese frosting: If you can’t find a good vegan cream cheese near you, you can sub in 1/2 cup of dairy free yogurt (such as forager project) in place of 1 cup of vegan cream cheese.
Storage: Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keywords: vegan red velvet cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes, easy red velvet cupcakes