Ever just want one (or two) cinnamon rolls? These small batch cinnamon rolls are the perfect solution. Soft, fluffy, and so easy and quick to make. Plus you don’t need any eggs nor dairy to make 4 perfectly delicious cinnamon rolls (and yes there’s a gluten free option as well!).
Cinnamon Roll Dough:
- 1 1/3 cups (200 g) all-purpose flour, divided (plus more for flouring surface)* see notes for Gluten Free
- 1/3 packet (3 g) quick rise dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp (30 g) granulated sugar or coconut sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) dairy-free milk, unsweetened, warmed
- 2 tbsp (30 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30 g) salted vegan butter, melted and room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 g) vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (70 g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup (130 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients. Grease and line a small casserole dish (about 7×5″) or a 6″ cake pan with parchment paper.
- Make the dough: Either in the bowl of a stand mixer with dough attachment or in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Then add in the warmed dairy free milk, dairy free yogurt, vegan butter, and vanilla extract. Either turn on the stand mixer to medium speed or begin to mix the dough with a wooden spoon then knead the dough in the bowl until a smooth ball forms, about 10 minutes.
- Rest: Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rest in the bowl in a warm area (about 85F or warmer) until about doubled in size (about 20-30 minutes).
- Shape the cinnamon rolls: Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar together in a small bowl and set aside. Flour a clean surface and rolling pin, and place the dough in the middle. Roll the dough to be about 6″ by 12-15″. Brush the dough with the vegan butter, then sprinkle on an even layer of the brown sugar cinnamon mixture. I like to slice the dough into individual strips before rolling, but you can also just roll the dough and slice it into 4 cinnamon rolls with either floss or a knife. To roll them into strips, slice the dough in half so have two strips of 3×15.” Then slice them into half again so you have four strips of 1.5×15.” Then roll each strip tightly and place the rolled cinnamon roll into your prepared baking dish.
- Rest the rolls: Cover the baking dish and rest the rolls by the oven while it preheats to 350F. Let the rolls double in size.
- Bake: Place the cinnamon rolls into the oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden. Let the cinnamon rolls cool for 10-15 minutes before serving, as they’ll be really hot!
- Frost and serve: Whisk together the cream cheese and butter together, then add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread on top of your cinnamon rolls, and enjoy!
GLUTEN FREE MEASUREMENTS:
1 cup (130 g) tapioca flour or starch
3/4 cup (110 g) millet flour
1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
2 tbsp (10 g) psyllium husk powder
2 tsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp (5 g) instant yeast (quick rise yeast)
2/3 cups (135 mL) dairy-free milk, lukewarm
2 tbsp (45 g) dairy-free yogurt,* room temperature
2 tbsp (30 g) vegan butter, melted but not hot
1 tsp (5 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
For gluten free instructions: For Step 2 of making the dough, whisk together the millet, tapioca, sugar, psyllium husk powder, arrowroot starch, and instant yeast. Then add in the dairy free milk, yogurt, vegan butter, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. I recommend using a stand mixer here as it’s easiest. Then skip the first rise and go immediately to shaping the dough in Step 4. Follow the remaining steps of the recipe as is.
Overnight option: Make the cinnamon rolls up until you’ve finished Step 5, where you let the cinnamon rolls double in size. I like to let the cinnamon rolls ALMOST be doubled in size (they’ll be about 1.5 they’re size before) and cover the dish to rest in the fridge overnight. Then before baking, remove the dish from the fridge and set near the oven while the oven preheats. Then bake!
Keywords: small batch cinnamon rolls, vegan small batch cinnamon rolls, small batch cinnamon rolls no eggs, gluten free small batch cinnamon rolls