Gooey and chocolate cookie s’mores bars that are incredibly easy AND undetectably vegan and gluten free! Toasted marshmallow and melted chocolate all on a vegan cookie bar with gluten free option! Make these for a crowd, and you’ll wow every guest!
Cookie Layer (adapted from my Simple Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies):
- 1 3/4 cups (220 grams) all purpose flour OR gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) salted vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (150 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (85 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3–6 tbsp unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1 cup (170 grams) chocolate chips
- 1 batch vegan chocolate ganache
- 1 cups vegan marshmallows, mini or regular
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease and line a 9″ baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Make the cookie dough base: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter and coconut sugar until creamy and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. The sugar should start to dissolve into the vegan butter. Add in the applesauce and vanilla extract, and cream again until mixed. Then add in the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to mix the flour into the wet ingredients until there are almost no more dry streaks. Add in the chocolate chips, and fold again until the chocolate chips are just mixed into the dough.
- Press the dough into the 9″ baking dish to form the cookie layer.
- Place the cookie layer in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. The middle of the cookie layer should look set. Remove from the oven.
- Make the vegan ganache: follow the instructions for the vegan ganache. When the ganache is made, pour the ganache over the top of the chocolate chip cookie layer and spread until it reaches the edges of the pan. Place the cookie layer into the freezer to chill for 15 minutes. While the layer is freezing, turn on the broiler in the oven.
- When the chocolate has set, top the s’mores bars with the marshmallows. Place the dish back into the oven and set the broiler on medium high for 1 minute.
- DO NOT turn away from the oven! Watch the marshmallows to make sure they don’t burn. Once they are golden and toasted, remove the s’mores bars from the oven and turn the oven off.
- Let the s’mores bars rest for 5-8 minutes. Then use a clean kitchen knife to slice and serve. Wipe the knife in between each slice for a cleaner cut.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan s'mores bars, s'mores bars, gluten free s'mores bars, s'mores cookie bars