Gooey Vegan S’mores Cookie Bars
If you love making s’mores, then I just know that you’re going to love these irresistibly decadent vegan s’mores bars (yes, even if you’re not vegan!).
These cookie s’mores bars are THE s’mores bars to make. Similar to my s’mores cookies, these s’mores cookie bars are incredible easy to make with a no chill cookie dough and easy assembly.
We have a gooey and chewy chocolate chip cookie base that’s filled with a center of sweet and crisp Biscoff cookies (that serve as the vegan graham cracker), rich molten vegan chocolate, and homemade vegan marshmallow fluff in the middle. Bake, cool, and slice for essentially a s’more in cookie bar form.
Minus the eggs, dairy, and gelatin, of course 😉 Yep, you won’t even be able to detect that these gooey and easy s’mores bars are entirely vegan, dairy free, and eggless (and easily gluten free too!).
Ingredients for vegan s’mores bars
As I mentioned above, making these s’mores bars is super simple because you don’t need any special ingredients.
Essentially you’ll be making vegan chocolate chip cookies (in bar form though), vegan ganache, and marshmallows.
For the cookies, we’re basically using my vegan chocolate chip cookies with a few modifications. You’ll need the following:
- Flour: you can use gluten free 1:1 baking flour as well. I’ve tested the recipe several times with King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour, and not even my 80 year old grandmother could detect these s’mores bars were gluten free!
- Baking soda + baking powder
- Vegan butter: I used Miyoko’s, but use Violife for nut free. So good!
- Unsweetened yogurt: Our vegan egg replacement in the cookies
- Brown sugar and granulated sugar: A mixture of both will yield a really rich and moist cookie base.
- Vegan chocolate chips: a great lower sugar option that’s still vegan are Pascha Chocolate’s stevia sweetened chocolate chips!
Not wild ingredients, right? Then for filling we have:
- Biscoff cookies: For gluten free, use Camila from Pies & Tacos’ vegan graham crackers, and swap in gluten free flour. I make them all the time gluten free for my friends and family who need it, they’re amazing.
- High quality vegan chocolate: I love Endangered Species, Pascha Chocolate, and Theo. Really good!
- Vegan marshmallow fluff: This is a combination of maple syrup and vegan marshmallows; I like Dandies, but Trader Joe’s is also naturally vegan!
How to make vegan s’mores bars
You’re just going to love how easy these vegan s’mores bars are to make. It’s essentially like making chocolate chip cookies without scooping the dough. As with all of my recipes, the full written instructions with ingredient measurements is found down below in the recipe card. However, we’ll go over the basics here with visuals.
You’ll start by making the chocolate chip cookie layer. This part of the recipe is adapted from my vegan chocolate chip cookies. You’ll start by whisking together the wet ingredients, then folding in the dry ingredients. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
Then start to assemble the bars. Press half the cookie dough into your prepared 8×8″ pan, followed by a layer of biscoff cookies and vegan chocolate. Then set this aside, and quickly prepare the marshmallow fluff.
Heat the marshmallows and syrup together on the stove top at medium-low heat covered until the marshmallows are super soft and almost liquid like. Stir vigorously until they combine into a smooth yet very sticky fluffy.
Then quickly spread the marshmallow fluff on top of your chocolate (it will start to melt the chocolate- no problem! Just work quickly. It sometimes helps to have a second spatula to help with spreading. Spread nearly until the edges of the cookie below, but not quite touching the walls of the pan.
Then press the remaining cookie dough on top, followed by crushed Biscoff cookies.
Pro tip: Press the top cookie dough down on the sides to create almost like an encasement around the inside layers. This prevents the marshmallow from seeping out of the sides.
Bake for 40 minutes, then cool for 30 (so that the marshmallow sets!). Slice and serve!
S’mores Bars FAQ’s
What marshmallows are vegan?
For this recipe, I recommend using either Dandies or Trader Joe’s. These marshmallow brands are indeed vegan, and do not contain any gelatin. Most other marshmallow brands contain gelatin, so please be sure to check the ingredients list.
What’s the best gluten free flour to use?
I have tested these s’mores bars with oat flour, but it’s not my favorite flour to use. I personally don’t think it yields the BEST best results, but they bars will still taste delicious if you do decide to go this route. Please add in a tablespoon of arrowroot starch if you do use oat flour, but keep in mind that the bars will still be really tender. The best gluten free flour to use is King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour.
Can I use coconut oil instead of vegan butter?
Yes, you can for the cookies bars, but they might taste a bit like coconut.
I cannot wait to hear what you think about these chewy and gooey vegan s’mores bars! They’re so perfect for the summertime, or an anytime treat!
If you make these easy s’mores bars, please leave a comment down below, as well as a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. This helps others find the recipe!
As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there!
Happy s’mores bar baking!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. This helps others to find the recipes! As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there as well!Print
These deliciously molten and gooey vegan s’mores cookie bars are layered with a vegan chocolate chip cookie bar, Biscoff cookies, vegan chocolate, homemade vegan marshmallow fluff, and more chocolate chip cookie! They’re like a campfire in bar form, without the eggs, dairy, nor gelatin!
Cookie Layer (adapted from my Simple Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies):
- 2 1/4 cup (300 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour , sifted and spoon & leveled*
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup (170 g) salted vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2/3 cup (130 g) organic granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200 g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (110 g) dairy free yogurt or unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bar chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup (170 g) chocolate chips
S’mores cookie bar layers:
- 10 Biscoff cookies, plus more for topping
- 2 vegan chocolate bars
Vegan Marshmallow Fluff:
- 1 bag vegan marshmallows
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and line an 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the cookie dough base: In a large bowl, whisk together the vegan butter, brown sugar, sugar, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract until combined. Then add in the dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and sea salt), and use a rubber spatula to mix the flour into the wet ingredients until there are almost no more dry streaks. Add in the chopped chocolate and chocolate chips, and fold again until the chocolate chips are just mixed into the dough.
- Partial assembly: Press half of the dough into the 8×8″ baking dish to form the bottom cookie layer. Then line the cookie dough with biscoff cookies (you should need 5 per row for 2 rows). Then place the 2 chocolate bars on top. Set aside (including the remaining half of the cookie dough) while you make the vegan marshmallow fluff.
- Make the vegan marshmallow fluff: Please read the next 2 steps before beginning. In a medium pan on the stove, heat the vegan marshmallows and syrup on medium-low covered until the marshmallows become super soft and able to be mixed into a spread (about 5-7 minutes). Once soft, use a rubber spatula to whisk vigorously to make the marshmallows melt into a fluffy. Then work quickly to spread it onto the chocolate in the pan.
- Spread the marshmallow fluff: Quickly spread the fluff on top of the chocolate bar layer, using two spatula or knives if needed (sometimes helpful). You don’t need the fluff to read the edges of the pan, but just to form an even layer of marshmallow on top of the chocolate.
- Finish the cookie bar assembly: Top the marshmallow fluff by pressing the remaining cookie dough layer on top, and pressing down the cookie dough along the edges to encase the s’mores layers inside. This prevents the marshmallow from seeping out. Press crumbled Biscoff cookies on top if desired.
- Bake: Place the cookie layer in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.
- Cool: Remove the cookie bars from the oven and let the s’mores bars rest for 30 minutes. Then use a clean kitchen knife to slice and serve. Wipe the knife in between each slice for a cleaner cut.
- Serve and enjoy! Store any leftover in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature or 3 months in the fridge. Heat the bars in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to melt the marshmallow again.
Gluten free: Swap in King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour and use Pies & Tacos’ Vegan Graham Crackers recipe with gluten free flour as well for entirely gluten free vegan s’mores cookie bars.
Keywords: vegan s’mores bars, s’mores bars, gluten free s’mores bars, s’mores cookie bars