Gooey Vegan S’mores Bars (gluten free option!)
If you love making s’mores, then I just know that you’re going to love these irresistibly decadent vegan s’mores bars (yes, even if you’re not vegan!).
These cookie s’mores bars are THE s’mores bars to make. With a gooey and chewy chocolate chip cookie base, fudgy and rich vegan chocolate ganache filling, and toasted vegan marshmallows on top, these s’mores bars are like bringing the camp fire indoors (p.s. you can have them all year round!).
Not to mention, you won’t even be able to detect that these gooey and easy s’mores bars are entirely vegan, dairy free, eggless, and gluten free. Yes, all of that, and you wouldn’t even know!
The perfect healthier vegan dessert for kids and adults alike! And a great option for a barbecue or cookout dessert.
Ingredients for vegan s’mores bars
As I mentioned above, making these s’mores bars is super simple because you don’t need any special ingredients.
Essentially you’ll be making vegan chocolate chip cookies (in bar form though), vegan ganache, and marshmallows.
For the cookies, you’ll need the following:
- Flour: you can use gluten free 1:1 baking flour as well. I’ve tested the recipe several times with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking flour (in the blue bag), and not even my 80 year old grandmother could detect these s’mores bars were gluten free!
- Baking soda + baking powder
- Vegan butter: I used Flora Plant Butter for nut free. So good!
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Coconut sugar: you can use regular sugar, but I like to keep these vegan s’mores bars are refined sugar free as possible!
- Vegan chocolate chips: a great lower sugar option that’s still vegan are Lily’s Sweets Chocolate Chips.
Not wild ingredients, right? Then for the ganache, it’s even simpler. We’re using my classic vegan chocolate ganache recipe, which is just two ingredients:
- Vegan butter
- Vegan chocolate or vegan chocolate chips
And finally, you’ll need vegan marshmallows. I use Dandie’s, which is available nationwide. Another great option is Trader Joe’s generic marshmallows (that just so happen to be vegan!).
How to make vegan s’mores bars
You’re just going to love how easy these vegan s’mores bars are to make. It’s essentially like making chocolate chip cookies without scooping the dough. As with all of my recipes, the full written instructions with ingredient measurements is found down below in the recipe card. However, we’ll go over the basics here with visuals.
You’ll start by making the chocolate chip cookie layer. This part of the recipe is adapted from my vegan chocolate chip cookies. You’ll start by whisking together the dry ingredients, then creaming together the wet ingredients. Add the dry to the wet and fold in the chocolate chips.
Once you’ve baked the cookie layer, you’ll prepare the vegan chocolate ganache. No baking is required for this step. You’ll simply prepare the vegan chocolate ganache according to the directions in the recipe post, and smear the layer over the baked cookie layer. Allow the ganache to set in the freezer to create a fudge layer.
Then we’ll use the broiler to toast the marshmallows over the chocolate fudge layer once it’s set.
Now DO NOT TURN AWAY FROM THE OVEN! Watch those marshmallows like a freaking hawk because we do NOT want burnt marshmallows! Not fun!
Once the marshmallows are toasted, allow the bars to set for 5 minutes. Then slice and enjoy!
S’mores Bars FAQ’s
What marshmallows are vegan?
For this recipe, I recommend using either Dandies or Trader Joe’s. These marshmallow brands are indeed vegan, and do not contain any gelatin. Most other marshmallow brands contain gelatin, so please be sure to check the ingredients list.
What’s the best gluten free flour to use?
I have tested these s’mores bars with oat flour, but it’s not my favorite flour to use. I personally don’t think it yields the BEST best results, but they bars will still taste delicious if you do decide to go this route. Please add in a tablespoon of arrowroot starch if you do use oat flour, but keep in mind that the bars will still be slightly tender.
The best gluten free flour to use is Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour in the blue bag. This is super crucial as their gluten free flour in the red bag DOES NOT contain any vegetable gums and therefore is NOT 1:1.
Can I use coconut oil instead of vegan butter?
Yes, you can for the cookies bars, but I wouldn’t recommend it for the vegan ganache!! The base of these vegan cookie bars have been made with coconut oil, and they turn out wonderfully.
For the ganache, your best bet will be to either use the vegan ganache as is, or omit the vegan butter all together. If you’re going the omitting route, just place the chocolate bar chunks or chocolate chips on top of the cookie bars immediately after baking the bars. Allow the chocolate to melt then gently spread it to reach the edges.
I cannot wait to hear what you think about these chewy and gooey vegan s’mores bars! They’re so perfect for the summertime, or an anytime treat!
If you make these easy s’mores bars, please leave a comment down below, as well as a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. This helps others find the recipe!
As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there!
Happy s’mores bar baking!
More vegan cookies & bars:
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
Gooey and chocolate cookie s’mores bars that are incredibly easy AND undetectably vegan and gluten free! Toasted marshmallow and melted chocolate all on a vegan cookie bar with gluten free option! Make these for a crowd, and you’ll wow every guest!
Cookie Layer (adapted from my Simple Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies):
- 1 3/4 cups (220 grams) all purpose flour OR gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) salted vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (150 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (85 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3–6 tbsp unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1 cup (170 grams) chocolate chips
- 1 batch vegan chocolate ganache
- 1 cups vegan marshmallows, mini or regular
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease and line a 9″ baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Make the cookie dough base: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter and coconut sugar until creamy and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. The sugar should start to dissolve into the vegan butter. Add in the applesauce and vanilla extract, and cream again until mixed. Then add in the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to mix the flour into the wet ingredients until there are almost no more dry streaks. Add in the chocolate chips, and fold again until the chocolate chips are just mixed into the dough.
- Press the dough into the 9″ baking dish to form the cookie layer.
- Place the cookie layer in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. The middle of the cookie layer should look set. Remove from the oven.
- Make the vegan ganache: follow the instructions for the vegan ganache. When the ganache is made, pour the ganache over the top of the chocolate chip cookie layer and spread until it reaches the edges of the pan. Place the cookie layer into the freezer to chill for 15 minutes. While the layer is freezing, turn on the broiler in the oven.
- When the chocolate has set, top the s’mores bars with the marshmallows. Place the dish back into the oven and set the broiler on medium high for 1 minute.
- DO NOT turn away from the oven! Watch the marshmallows to make sure they don’t burn. Once they are golden and toasted, remove the s’mores bars from the oven and turn the oven off.
- Let the s’mores bars rest for 5-8 minutes. Then use a clean kitchen knife to slice and serve. Wipe the knife in between each slice for a cleaner cut.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan s’mores bars, s’mores bars, gluten free s’mores bars, s’mores cookie bars