Unbelievably delicious apple crumb cake that’s as easy as it is super moist and tender! This apple crumb cake is undetectably vegan and gluten free, and layered with a cinnamon crumble and fresh apples. It’s the perfect fall breakfast or after dinner dessert!
Cinnamon Crumble Topping:
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour*
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, melted
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon or pumpkin spice blend
- 2 cups chopped apples, skin removed (about 2 large apples)
Vanilla Cake Layer:
- 3 cups (375 g) all purpose flour*
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup (250 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup (170 g) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (180 g) unsweetened dairy free milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- Optional topping: 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 tbsp dairy free milk
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and olive oil.
- Cinnamon crumble topping: In medium bowl, prepare the cinnamon crumble. Whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Use a fork to mix in the melted vegan butter into the mixture until it resembles a crumble. Set aside.
- Make the apple filling: In another medium bowl, toss the chopped apples with the ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- Make the vegan cake batter: Prepare the main cake layer. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, arrowroot powder, and baking powder and soda. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter, sugar applesauce, dairy free milk mixture, and vanilla. Then add in the flour mixture, and stir until there are no more dry streaks of flour.
- Assemble the apple crumb cake: Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Then add on the apples, and spread them out in an even layer on top of the cake batter. Finally, sprinkle the crumble topping on top evenly over the apples.
- Bake: Place the pan into the oven to bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and allow the coffee cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Serve: When ready to serve, it’s best served slightly warm. Slice into 9 squares and prepare the optional glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar and dairy free milk, and drizzle on top of each slice. Enjoy! Store any leftovers covered in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, in the fridge for up to 6 days, or in the freezer for up to a month.
Gluten free flour: I recommend using King Arthur Measure for Measure flour here (as pictured). You can also use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 baking flour.
Not gluten free? Swap in all purpose flour in an equal amount.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 28.8 g
- Sodium: 230.7 mg
- Fat: 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.7 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: apple crumb cake, gluten free apple cake, vegan apple crumb cake, apple crumble cake