The most lovely and fresh homemade strawberry pie for the summer! With a secretly no sugar added filling that’s still super sweet and gooey, and a flaky “buttery” vegan pie crust, this healthier strawberry pie is the perfect summer treat!
- 3 cups (375 grams) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (226 grams) vegan butter, cubed
- 5–7 tbsp chilled water
- Vegan “egg” wash: 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted + 1 tbsp maple syrup
Vegan Strawberry Pie Filling:
- 6 cups (800 grams) sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter, melted
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- juice from 1 lemon
- zest from 1 lemon
- Make the vegan pie crust: Add the flour, arrowroot powder, coconut sugar, baking soda, and sea salt to a food processor, and pulse the ingredients together. Then add in the cubed vegan butter to the food processor, and pulse the ingredients until the mixture resembles a sand texture. Place the lid back onto the food processor, and begin to blend again. Remove the top insert from the lid and carefully slowly pour in the water 1 tablespoon at a time until it forms a smooth dough ball. Allow the dough to blend until it forms a large dough ball.
- Stop the food processor and remove the dough. Divide the dough in half and place it onto two separate pieces of parchment paper. Form each dough ball into a flat disk. Wrap the dough in the and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. While the dough is chilling, lightly grease a 9″ pie dish with olive oil and set aside.
- Form the pie crust: When the pie crust is ready to be rolled, remove one dough disk from the fridge and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Sprinkle a piece of parchment paper with flour, as well as the dough disk and a rolling pin. Gently roll the dough to be about 1/4″ thick and 1″ wider than the pie dish edge. See this pie crust video help. Gently drape the pie dough over the pie dish and gently press the dough into the sides of the pie dish. Place the pie crust into the fridge to chill, and remove the second dough disk.
- Make the blueberry pie filling: while the second dough disk is resting on the counter and the pie dish is in the fridge chilling, make the strawberry pie filling. In a large bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, arrowroot starch, coconut oil or vegan butter, lemon juice, and zest together until completely mixed. Remove the pie dish from the fridge and gently pour the strawberry filling into the pie dish. Place the pie dish back into the fridge and prepare the second dough disk.
- Make the top crust: Roll the second dough out like in step 3. Then use your favorite cookie cutter shapes to cut out designs in the pie crust. Remove the strawberry pie from the fridge, and then carefully flip the pie crust on top of the pie. Pinch and shape the edges of the crust as you’d like. You can also make a lattice crust if you’d prefer!
- Place the pie dish into fridge again and preheat the oven to 400F.
- Once the oven is preheated, make the vegan “egg” wash by mixing together the melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Use a pastry brush to brush the mixture over the top of the pie crust. Place the pie dish onto a baking sheet and gently cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the strawberry pie into the oven to bake for 25 minutes covered. Then remove the cover and reduce the heat to 350F. Bake the strawberry pie for an additional 25-30 minutes.
- The crust should look lightly golden, and the blueberries moist. Remove the strawberry pie from the oven and allow the strawberry pie to cool for 10 minutes at room temperature and then set completely in the fridge for 3 hours. Serve a la mode and enjoy!
For gluten free: use gluten free 1:1 baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill in the blue bag.
For lattice crust tips & tricks: please see this apple pie post.
Pie Crust tips: I find that using a pastry cutter or pizza cutter is the easiest way to make straight lines with your lattice crust.
Please read the full post above for all tips & tricks on making this strawberry pie absolutely amazing!
Keywords: vegan strawberry pie, homemade strawberry pie, healthy strawberry pie, strawberry pie, easy strawberry pie