The ultimate healthy apple pie recipe that’s secretly vegan! Topped with a flaky crust and caramelized cinnamon apples, you’ll never know this apple pie filling has no sugar added!
What makes this the best healthy and vegan apple pie
Is there anything more classic than an apple pie made from scratch and just out of the oven?
Seriously, I mean, I hope someone is starting to understand my deep love for all things fall! Recently, Jared and I went apple picking and basically came home with the whole orchard.
So naturally, there was no better time to share my favorite fruit pie of all time. I can’t believe I’m just sharing this recipe too, because truth be told, I’ve been making it for about 9 years now…I know, that’s longer than I’d like to admit!
But I’m overjoyed to share it with you because this healthy apple pie has been a family favorite for a while now, and it’s just so shockingly simple.
Filled with cinnamon coated sweet apple slices and layered with a flaky (yet undetectably vegan and gluten free) lattice crust, this apple pie has my heart, and it’ll have yours soon too.
The best part? Serving it warm with a scoop of ice cream- truly, nothing better!
Does this homemade apple pie taste healthy?
Not in the slightest. In fact, you’d never know that this was a vegan apple pie, nor a gluten free apple pie.
I’ve actually been making this particular recipe since high school (sad to say, that is over 10 years for this particular pie haha!), and it’s one that I always come back to.
It just goes to show you that nature can be pretty fantastic on it’s own. While I’ve really went to town explaining the ins and outs of making a lattice crust (which you don’t need to do!), this recipe truly is simple.
You’re just making a pie crust, tossing apples in a few spices and baking it.
What could be better?!
I promise that none of your guests, nor you, will know that this healthy apple pie is indeed vegan and gluten free (and can easily be made Paleo and nut free!).
It’s all in the easy apple pie filling. Not to mention, the crust is so flaky, no one will know this apple pie is vegan.
How to make a healthy apple pie filling
This apple pie filling recipe consists of only apples, cinnamon and a few other spices, lemon, and just a dab of coconut oil to place on top of the apple slices once they’re in the pie crust and ready to be sent to the oven!
The real trick to getting a super gooey apple pie filling without loads of added sugar is slicing the apples paper thin.
The whole process of slicing 7-9 apples takes about 15 minutes, but it’s so worth it.
You’ll also want to make sure that you remove all the skin from the apples, as this will help them bake together and create that gooey lovely texture of a more traditional apple pie.
And thirdly, just a little bit of cassava flour (or tapioca flour), and the filling just melds together in the oven heat.
How to make a lattice crust
Now, for this easy apple pie recipe, you do not indeed need to make a lattice crust to go with it.
Of course, I find them to be fun, but I find all baking challenges to be fun! Sometimes, you just want a really straight forward apple pie, and trust me, that will still an amazing apple pie because it’s all in the filling.
In that case, just place the second rolled out pie dough crust over the apples in the pie dish, make a few slits (or you can even poke out a few shapes!), and you’re good!
But if you want to make a lattice crust like this one…read on 😉
So you have your first pie dough in the pie dish, and you have your sliced apples coated in their spices sitting in the dish. Now it’s time for you to get your lattice crust ready!
Here are my basic steps for making a lattice crust:
- Start by rolling the dough out to about 12 inches in diameter.
- Next, slice 12 strips, each 1-inch thick. You’ll then have 6 strips for each direction. I recommend using a ruler and a pizza slicer here.
- Place the first 6 strips in one direction onto the pie, but do not seal anything off. You’ll be lifting these strips up again and again until your lattice is made!
- Now for the weaving. Fold back 3 strips, alternating which you fold back (in other words, fold back-let be-fold back-let be-fold back-let be).
- Place one of the unused pie dough strips over the non-folded pie dough strips.
- Fold back the folded pie dough strips to go over this new strip.
- Now fold back the opposite 3 pie dough strips, and place another strip over the unfolded strips. Repeat the same process that you did for the previous strips.
- Repeat this process until your lattice crust is complete!
Not too bad, right?
Then you just brush with a little melted vegan butter or coconut oil, sprinkle on some raw sugar or coconut sugar, chill, and bake!
Healthy Apple Pie Tips & Tricks
Now for my best tips and tricks for making your apple pie from scratch taste like you got it from a professional bakery 😉
- You can use several different flours, depending on your needs! This recipe works great with all purpose flour, a gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour, and cassava flour.
- Slice your apples very thin for the apple pie filling. This ensures that they caramelize and cook evenly when baking.
- Which apples to use: if you like a sweeter pie, like I do and what I recommend since we’re not adding any sugar to the filling, go for fuji, gala, and golden delicious. I highly recommend using a mix of apples for the best results! For less sweet, go for granny smith!
- Let your pie settle after it bakes. I know you’re probably eager to dig into your healthy apple pie, but you need to let it rest for about 3 hours after you bake it! This ensures everything sets so that you can pull out a nice clean slice.
- Serve a la mode! I mean, it’s not apple pie without a dollop of vanilla ice cream right? Serve it with coconut milk ice cream for dairy free, but feel free to use whatever floats your boat!
I hope you love this healthy apple pie recipe as much as I do!
Happy apple slicing, lattice weaving, and pie eating!
More healthy apple recipes and fun fall treats:
Vegan Paleo Chocolate Marbled Pumpkin Bread
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make something from The Banana Diaries, I would love to see your creations! Make sure to leave a review in comments section, as well as giving it a rating so that others may find the recipe. Also, follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook for more vegan recipe inspiration!Print
The ultimate healthy apple pie recipe that’s secretly vegan and gluten-free! Topped with a flaky crust and caramelized gooey cinnamon apples, you’ll never know this apple pie filling has no sugar added!
Healthy Apple Pie Crust:
- 2 servings Flaky Vegan Pie Crust (Gluten Free Option)
Apple Pie Filling:
- 9 large apples, skinned, cored, and sliced very thin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil, chilled
Vegan “Egg Wash”
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- First prepare the pie crust. Double the recipe and follow the directions listed in the Flaky Vegan Pie Crust recipe card, completely step 4. The only change you’ll need to make is when making the dough into a disk, separate it into 2 disks (one for the bottom crust, one for the top). Chill the disks for 30 minutes.
- Continue on to follow step 5 through 7 with only 1 disk, rolling it out to be the bottom crust. Once the crust is in the pie dish, refrigerate the pie crust again, and proceed on with making the apple pie filling.
- Apple pie filling: Combine the thinly sliced apples in a bowl with the lemon juice, arrowroot powder, vanilla extract, and spices until evenly coated.
- Remove the pie dish and the second disk from the fridge. Pour the apple filling into the pie dish, arranging the apples so that they’re laying flat. Add in the tbsp vegan butter/coconut oil in cubes on top of the apples. Set aside.
- Make the lattice crust according to the Flaky Vegan Pie Crust steps in the Notes section (starting at Step 3). To make the lattice, measure 10″ in length (if using a 10″ pie dish) and 1-1.5″ in width for each strip of the lattice. Measure out 8-12 strips, depending on how many you want to go across each side. Drape half of the strips in one direction over the pie. Do not seal off the lattice yet. Now begin to weave the other strips going the opposite direction, lifting up every other strip to cover the opposite strip. Repeat for any remaining dough, alternating between which strips are folded and unfolded. Cut the loose ends of the strips, and gently tuck them underneath and into the first (bottom) pie crust.
- Whisk together the coconut oil and maple syrup for the vegan “egg wash” and brush the pie crust. Sprinkle with coconut or raw sugar.
- Refrigerate the pie for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 375F.
- When the oven is ready, place a pie onto a baking sheet, cover the crust fully with tinfoil, and into the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the tinfoil and bake for another 25 minutes, or until the crust looks lightly golden.
- When the crust is golden and the filling is soft, remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 hours to set before slicing into it.
- Serve with homemade cashew milk ice cream or Paleo vegan ice cream and enjoy!
If using gluten free 1:1 baking flour, please add in 2 tsp arrowroot powder to the flour, then create the pie crust as directed.
Keywords: healthy apple pie, gluten free apple pie, vegan apple pie, homemade apple pie