Unbelievably Easy Vegan Apple Pie (No Sugar Added Simple Filling!)
The ultimate healthy vegan apple pie recipe is unbelievably easy to make with a perfect gooey 4 ingredient apple pie filling. Naturally dairy free, no sugar added apple pie filling, and easily gluten-free! Topped with a flaky crust and caramelized gooey cinnamon apples, you’ll never know this vegan apple pie is secretly healthier!
What makes this the best healthy vegan apple pie
Is there anything more classic than an apple pie made from scratch and just out of the oven?
Whether you’re making this vegan apple pie for the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, or a fall dessert after apple picking, this is truly one of the best vegan pies of all time. I can’t believe I’m just sharing this recipe too, because truth be told, I’ve been making it for about 10 years now…I know, that’s longer than I’d like to admit!
But I’m overjoyed to share it with you because this healthy apple pie has been a family favorite for a while now, and it’s just so shockingly simple. My entire family loves it, and not everyone is vegan nor gluten free. Yet, they all are obsessed and request it as one of the vegan Thanksgiving dessert pies to grace our table during the holiday season!
Filled with cinnamon coated sweet apple slices that caramelize with their natural sugars, and layered with a flaky (yet undetectably vegan and gluten free) lattice crust, this vegan apple pie has my heart, and it’ll have yours soon too.
The best part? Serving it warm with a scoop of vegan ice cream– truly, nothing better!
Does this homemade apple pie taste healthy?
Not in the slightest. In fact, you’d never know that this was a vegan apple pie, nor a gluten free apple pie.
I’ve actually been making this particular recipe since high school (sad to say, that is over 10 years for this particular pie haha!), and it’s one that I always come back to.
I promise that none of your guests, nor you, will know that this healthy apple pie is indeed vegan and gluten free (and can easily be made Paleo and nut free!).
It’s all in the easy apple pie filling. Not to mention, the crust is so flaky, no one will know this apple pie is vegan.
Vegan apple pie ingredients:
- Pie crust: I used two servings of this vegan pie crust recipe. You can easily make this amazingly flaky gluten free pie crust, or use the oat flour crust linked down below!
- Apples: I recommend using the sweetest variety of apples you can find, as this is a no sugar added apple pie! Unlike most vegan apple pies, which call for Granny Smithapples, use a sweet variety like Fuji, gala, or honey crisp.
- Arrowroot starch: You can also swap in cornstarch. This helps to bind the sugars into a caramelized juice once baked!
- Spices: You’ll need the classicapple pie spices; ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon!
- Lemon juice: This help keep to coat the apples evenly in the arrowroot and cinnamon.
How to make a healthy apple pie filling (overview)
For the full written instructions and ingredient measurements, see the bottom of this post in the recipe card. You can also hit the “jump to recipe” button at the top of this post! Here, we’ll go over a brief overview of the steps, along with providing visuals for a better understanding of the recipe.
The real trick to getting a super gooey apple pie filling without loads of added sugar is slicing the apples paper thin.
The whole process of slicing 7-9 apples takes about 15 minutes, but it’s so worth it.
How to make a vegan apple pie:
- Prepare the pie crust. Decide whether you’re going to do a double crust apple pie or a lattice crustapple pie. You’ll need two servings of the vegan pie crust.
- Slice and prepare the apples. Make sure that they’re super thin!
- Toss the apples with the remaining ingredients. Make sure that the apples are evenly coated to ensure that the sugars caramelize properly in the oven.
- Add the apples to your pie crust. Then top with your lattice!
- Bake the apple pie!
How to make a lattice crust
Now, for this easy apple pie recipe, you do not indeed need to make a lattice crust to go with it.
Of course, I find them to be fun, but I find all baking challenges to be fun! Sometimes, you just want a really straight forward apple pie, and trust me, that will still an amazing apple pie because it’s all in the filling.
In that case, just place the second rolled out pie dough crust over the apples in the pie dish, make a few slits (or you can even poke out a few shapes!), and you’re good!
But if you want to make a lattice crust like this one…read on 😉
So you have your first pie dough in the pie dish, and you have your sliced apples coated in their spices sitting in the dish. Now it’s time for you to get your lattice crust ready!
Here are my basic steps for making a lattice crust:
- Start by rolling the dough out to about 12 inches in diameter.
- Next, slice 12 strips, each 1-inch thick. You’ll then have 6 strips for each direction. I recommend using a ruler and a pizza slicer here.
- Place the first 6 strips in one direction onto the pie, but do not seal anything off. You’ll be lifting these strips up again and again until your lattice is made!
- Now for the weaving. Fold back 3 strips, alternating which you fold back (in other words, fold back-let be-fold back-let be-fold back-let be).
- Place one of the unused pie dough strips over the non-folded pie dough strips.
- Fold back the folded pie dough strips to go over this new strip.
- Now fold back the opposite 3 pie dough strips, and place another strip over the unfolded strips. Repeat the same process that you did for the previous strips.
- Repeat this process until your lattice crust is complete!
Then you just brush with vegan cream (like coconut cream or thick soy milk) and maple syrup, sprinkle on some raw sugar or coconut sugar, chill, and bake!
Do I need to remove the skin from apples for apple pie?
While this is a bit of extra work, it’s really important that you remove the skin from the apples for this vegan apple pie. This will help the thin apple slices caramelize together as they cook.
Healthy Apple Pie Tips & Tricks
- You can make this vegan apple pie gluten free as well. Use this amazing gluten free pie crust recipe, or even use this wonderfully easy oat flour pie crust.
- Slice your apples very thin for the filling. Since we’re not using any sugar or sweeteners in the apple pie filling, it’s so important that the apples are thin. This will help the natural sugars caramelize in the oven, and the arrowroot will help everything gel together.
- Use sweeter apples for this vegan apple pie. This is because we’re not adding any sugar to the healthy apple pie filling! I recommend Fuji, Gala, or golden delicious. Personally, I recommend a mix of apples for the best flavor!
- Allow your apple pie to sit for 1-2 hours at room temperature after baking. I know it’s so tempting to dig into your freshly baked vegan apple pie, but truly this pie does need to set for a few hours! It’s very worth the wait though 🙂
You’re just going to absolutely love this easy vegan healthy apple pie! Truly, it will be your go-to apple pie for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and beyond.
This vegan apple pie is:
- Perfectly sweet and gooey
- Naturally less sugar, thanks to the no sugar added filling
- Easy to make and stress-free
- Delicious with the easy vegan flaky + buttery crust!
- Perfect for all eaters, vegan or not!
- Great for Thanksgiving or Christmas
- The best pie for just after apple picking!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. This helps others to find the recipes! As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there as well!Print
The ultimate healthy vegan apple pie recipe is unbelievably easy to make. Naturally dairy free, no sugar added apple pie filling, and easily gluten-free! Topped with a flaky crust and caramelized gooey cinnamon apples, you’ll never know this vegan apple pie is secretly healthier!
Healthy Apple Pie Crust:
Apple Pie Filling:
- 7–9 large apples, skinned, cored, and sliced very thin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil, chilled
Vegan “Egg Wash”
- 2 tbsp dairy free cream (such as coconut cream or soy milk)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- First prepare the pie crust. Double the recipe and follow the directions listed in the Flaky Vegan Pie Crust recipe card, completely step 4. The only change you’ll need to make is when making the dough into a disk, separate it into 2 disks (one for the bottom crust, one for the top). Chill the disks for 30 minutes.
- Continue on to follow step 5 through 7 with only 1 disk, rolling it out to be the bottom crust. Once the crust is in the pie dish, refrigerate the pie crust again, and proceed on with making the apple pie filling.
- Apple pie filling: Combine the thinly sliced apples in a bowl with the lemon juice, arrowroot powder, vanilla extract, and spices until evenly coated.
- Remove the pie dish and the second disk from the fridge. Pour the apple filling into the pie dish, arranging the apples so that they’re laying flat. Add in the tbsp vegan butter/coconut oil in cubes on top of the apples. Set aside.
- Make the lattice crust according to the Flaky Vegan Pie Crust steps in the Notes section (starting at Step 3). To make the lattice, measure 10″ in length (if using a 10″ pie dish) and 1-1.5″ in width for each strip of the lattice. Measure out 8-12 strips, depending on how many you want to go across each side. Drape half of the strips in one direction over the pie. Do not seal off the lattice yet. Now begin to weave the other strips going the opposite direction, lifting up every other strip to cover the opposite strip. Repeat for any remaining dough, alternating between which strips are folded and unfolded. Cut the loose ends of the strips, and gently tuck them underneath and into the first (bottom) pie crust.
- Whisk together the coconut oil and maple syrup for the vegan “egg wash” and brush the pie crust. Sprinkle with coconut or raw sugar.
- Refrigerate the pie for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 425F.
- When the oven is ready, place a pie onto a baking sheet, cover the crust fully with tinfoil, and into the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350F, and remove the tinfoil and bake for another 45 minutes.
- When the crust is golden and the filling is soft, remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 hours to set before slicing into it.
- Serve with homemade cashew milk ice cream or Paleo vegan ice cream and enjoy!
Gluten free: Use either gluten free 1:1 baking flour in the pie crust recipe or try this vegan oat flour pie crust! It works wonderfully!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 17.7 g
- Sodium: 353 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.3 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: healthy apple pie, gluten free apple pie, vegan apple pie, homemade apple pie